Lounge of Tomorrow

€uromeinke, FEJ. and Ghoulish Delight RULE!!! NA abides.  


Go Back   Lounge of Tomorrow > A.S.C.O.T > Lounge Lizard
Swank Swag
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Clear Unread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Baileykat
Hotel Expert!
 
Baileykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: follow the yellow brick road and take a left
Posts: 396
Baileykat is in the grooveBaileykat is in the groove
I can't believe we missed the whole thing...my mind is kinda shot this week!
I still can't remember what I was supposed to remember for Thursday...drat!


But I did see the clips..what a winner! I love when any dog wins besides poodles! As does Kat!

We're in the dog shopping stages right now...actually trying to decide the perfect breed for us...we really really realllllllllyyyyyyy want a French Bulldog! Ahh..I just love them! But get queasy at the thought of spending over $1000 - $2000 on a dog!
__________________


Me:"Bailey you need to eat some fruit! Fruit never killed anyone!"
Bailey" "Yes it did..Snow White!"
Baileykat is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
hersheythecat
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5
hersheythecat is swanky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracilicious
Darn my network TV!!! I love the dog show. Europe is much smarter than we are regarding dog shows and won't allow cropped dogs to be shown. Maybe someday we will reach that level of civility with our dogs. I love to see all the dogs, but especially the giant breeds. We haven't had a dane win in a long time.
Traci, I was just thinking that myself. I watch the shows long enough to see the danes and then turn the channel. There is nothing better than a dane in your lap with their head on your shoulder! If it wasn't for my nasty work monitoring my internet, I could show you a picture of the dane I had. He was such a big baby!
hersheythecat is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
alphabassettgrrl
Senior Member
 
alphabassettgrrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,978
alphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of coolalphabassettgrrl is the epitome of cool
Great Danes are amazing dogs. I saw a Dane crossed with Basset- looked like a basset-shaped giant cow. Tall, skinny, long body, white with black spots. Named Clarabelle.

The lady we got our first basset from had two Great Danes. Actually, the Danes are partly why we got her- Margie the basset hound. She had issues- the Danes wouldn't acknowledge Marge as Queen of the universe and the basset was fighting with the Danes. The Danes could also drink out of the kitchen sink without their feet leaving the floor. Quite entertaining!

alphabassettgrrl is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Not Afraid
HI!
 
Not Afraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 17,108
Not Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Yahoo to Not Afraid
There are so many factors to consider when looking at breeds.
Drool
Children
Other Pets
Grooming
Excitability
Exercise
Climate
Activity level
Health Problems of the breed
Training requiired

Etc.

Purena used to have a nice little test for potential owners, but I am not sure if it is still avaialble. Plus, I remember it gave me answers I was appaled by - I don't want a Peak.

This book is mentioned a lot.
Not Afraid is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Ghoulish Delight
I Floop the Pig
 
Ghoulish Delight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Alternative Swankstyle
Posts: 19,348
Ghoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of cool
Send a message via AIM to Ghoulish Delight Send a message via Yahoo to Ghoulish Delight
I'm always a proponent of going through rescue organizations.
__________________
'He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me.'
-TJ

Ghoulish Delight is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
mousepod
You broke your Ramadar!
 
mousepod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,635
mousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Skype™ to mousepod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight
I'm always a proponent of going through rescue organizations.
I'd give ya mojo if I could.

4 out of our last 6 pets were rescue animals.
mousepod is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
Not Afraid
HI!
 
Not Afraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 17,108
Not Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Yahoo to Not Afraid
The problem with rescue organizations is that you miss puppy stage for the most part. Now, this isn't a bad thing for some. Puppy stage is difficult. But, I know bringing adult cats into a household can be MUCH more difficult than kittens. Lyra was a good example of this.

Certain dogs have stronger rescue organizations than others. Greyhounds have a great rescue organizations and they are great adult dogs. It is harder to get certain breeds thru rescue without there being residual bahavioral problems. My Springer Spaniel was a rescue and never quite got over some of the childhood issues.

MousePod, what breed are you puppies?
Not Afraid is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #8
mousepod
You broke your Ramadar!
 
mousepod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,635
mousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of coolmousepod is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Skype™ to mousepod
Our current two dogs (the chihuahuas) were both bought from reputable breeders. Rescued chihuahuas are really tough and rarely get along with other pets - to assuage our guilt, we donate to Chihuahua Rescue.
Our two dogs that we had before we moved west were both mixed breed (probably a little shepherd in the first and mostly lab in the second) that were rescues.
The two cats that Heather brought into the mix (we're talkin' a decade+ ago) were both kitten rescues. Sweetpea died about two years ago (less than a month after our diabetic Lab-mix Horatio). Violet, the Maine Coon, still perseveres with only a couple of teeth left in his mouth...
mousepod is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Not Afraid
HI!
 
Not Afraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 17,108
Not Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of coolNot Afraid is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Yahoo to Not Afraid
I couldn't tell size from the pics but I thought they were chihuahuas. Cute babies! And, I can't believe you have a boy Maine Coone named VIOLET. LOL.

All 5 of my cats are rescued in one form or another - either from rescue organizations or just off the street.
Not Afraid is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #10
Sheila
Senior Member
 
Sheila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 148
Sheila is in the groove
Send a message via AIM to Sheila Send a message via Yahoo to Sheila
All three of my dogs (two current and one past) came from the local Animal Shelter. The youngest age of any of the available dogs is about 10 months (from what I've seen during my adoption trips). One was a border collie mix, the two current are a pit mix and a german shepherd mix. My pit mix is the sweetest thing ever and everyone who meets her falls in love with her, usually gushing baby talk to her. What a dollbaby.

The good thing is that you can still get them young enough for them to blend into the household.

The bad thing is that you've pretty much totally missed the window to really socialize them with other dogs and people (you've gotta get them and train them when they're 3-6 months old tops). All three dogs had/have issues with bonding with other dogs and/or people. They're getting training to correct it, but it is an issue.

I love the fact that I've rescued my puppies from a horrible fate and I know they are so grateful to be a part of my family. I wouldn't trade my babies for anything. But dogs that have been abandoned and unsocialized as pups can have problems. Of course, some breeds are naturally friendly so this caveat doesn't apply.
Sheila is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Lunarpages.com Web Hosting

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.