![]() |
€uromeinke, FEJ. and Ghoulish Delight RULE!!! NA abides. |
|
|
|
|
#1 |
|
lost in the fog
|
Okay, I was SO there for this event. I'm really glad I went. The afternoon program was hosted by Russell Merrit and they screened 8 Silly Symphonies, only one of which I had seen before (Skeleton Dance). I really enjoyed seeing the progression from 1929 to 1935. By the time we got to Musicland (something of which I'd always wanted to see based on the gorgeous concept art in "The Art of Walt Disney") I was totally blown away. This program really made me want to see many more of the Silly Symphonies.
After the screening there was a panel discussion with Russell Merrit, J.B. Kaufman, Neal Gabler, Jere Guldin (of UCLA) and Leslie Iwerks which was informative, fascinating and humourous, too. After the panel discussion, who was in front of me in line for autographs? Our Mousepodding master, Jesse, naturally. It was great to say hello and spend a few minutes catching up. Thanks again for the Mousepod pin! I'm wearing it proudly. Then, I had the great pleasure to be part of a nice dinner party since one of my dearest friends came to town for the weekend screening, and also happens to be vry good friends with both Russell Merrit and J.B. Kaufman. So, a whole group including Mr. Merrit and Mr. Kaufman ended up at Catch for dinner (after a time killing visit to the Twin Peaks bar). Everyone could not be more friendly and I've made some lovely new friends out fo this dinner, not the least of which was the totally charming and unassuming J.B. Kaufman. Both he and Russell have agreed to join me for a Stolen Moments podcast in 2007, to promote the Silly Symphony book and to (no doubt) talk about Walt in Wonderland and animation in general. I'm not sure when exactly this will happen, but I will as soon as I know. The evening screening was, in a word, totally awesome. The film was the 1927 version of Chicago. One of the few independently produced films of Cecil B. DeMille (it was not directed by DeMille, thank heaven) and it was a terrific film in every respect. Phylis Haver was Roxie Hart and Victor Varconi was Amos Hart (both names I am sure you are quite familiar with, tongue firmly in cheek here). Haver was more than a little over the top, but in this case it totally worked. The film had a slight tongue in cheek manner and quite a bit of sarcastic humor, so her over the top flapper muderess was perfect. Rather than have the great Dennis James play the organ, the film was scored by the Baker-Mehling Hot Five, and they were. Using mostly period tunes from the 1920's, they supported the film and made this one of my silent film highlights. The print, from UCLA, was gorgeous and from a first generation negative. Spectacular from start to finish
__________________
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde |
|
|
Submit to Quotes
|
|
|
#2 |
|
.
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,354
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
I've seen all of the shorts shown several times and actually dozed off during Egyptian Melodies (which I've never cared for). It was good see them (particularly Music Land) on a big screen but seeing eight in a row really emphasized why they showed one or two shorts and then a feature and not a dozen in a row.
Like I said, I'd seem them all several times so I was there for the panel which was interesting but, in my opinion, a little dull. Part of the problem, I felt, was that Russell Merritt was trying to pull things around to justify why an all sound program was being shown as part of the Silent Film Festival. It was nice that Leslie Iwerks was there but she seemed like a bit of a spare wheel since they only stopped talking about Walt for brief moments to force a question in her direction. While nothing particularly new was said (though I'm sure a lot of it was new to most of the audience) it is always interesting to hear it discussed in detail and I'm glad I went. And the opportunity to talk to them afterwards would have been wonderful (I didn't feel like stacking in a very crowded small space for signed books) since that is the environment where the best insights are shared. Also once we were there it occured to us that we hadn't been to the Castro since we saw a full slate of shows for the Asian Film Festival (culminating with Flower Drum Song several years ago). That was too long and hopefully we'll get back up there for the Bogie double feature later this month. Followed it up with some time in Japantown and a wonderful dinner at one of the few restaurants there we haven't tried before (Maki, strongly recommended). |
|
|
Submit to Quotes
|
![]() |
| Thread Tools | Search this Thread |
| Display Modes | |
|
|