Lounge of Tomorrow

€uromeinke, FEJ. and Ghoulish Delight RULE!!! NA abides.  


Go Back   Lounge of Tomorrow > A.S.C.O.T > Egg Head
Swank Swag
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Clear Unread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Alex
.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,354
Alex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of coolAlex is the epitome of cool
Then it is yet another example of the bajillions of unlikely coincidences that could result in circumstantial evidence I had committed a crime that I did not.

Similarly, if I ejaculate into a tissue and then tissue ends up momentarily near the vagina of the dead prostitute in the garbage truck it could create the appearance I had something to do with the test. If I go around jerking off onto every fire hydrant in the neighborhood it is not a violation of my privacy if the police somehow trace this back to me and connect it to the garbage truck corpse. It is if they force every male in the city to submit a DNA sample for comparison.

I'm not denying there it creates a forensic trail. I'm just saying that forensic trails are not inherently violations of privacy. And I agree that for the most part the printer/copier forensic trail is one that has little reason to exist but it still isn't really a violation of privacy, in my opinion. Especially if entered into knowingly (as I have with every printer/copier I've purchased in almost the last decade since I learned of it).
Alex is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Pirate Bill
Quality since 1973
 
Pirate Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Right here
Posts: 473
Pirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of coolPirate Bill is the epitome of cool
For the average user yeah, a printer watermark isn't really that big of a deal. But if you plan on printing anything that might cause people to want to target you, whether for political, religious, social (etc.) reasons, then it's a good idea to know exactly what your printer is doing behind the scenes and how to defeat it.

Or reverse that. Maybe you want to leave a trace for whatever reason. It's good to know which printers have this feature.

I think it's good to have a working knowledge of how our gadgets are "spying" on us. Not necessarily for protection or even for privacy, but so we can have the choice of opting in. I think it's ridiculous that such tracking systems aren't made known openly.

One might argue that such secrecy is necessary to make it work, otherwise the bad guys will defeat it. I say that's a load of crap.
Pirate Bill is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM.


Lunarpages.com Web Hosting

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.