Lounge of Tomorrow

€uromeinke, FEJ. and Ghoulish Delight RULE!!! NA abides.  


Go Back   Lounge of Tomorrow > Squaresville > Daily Grind
Swank Swag
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Clear Unread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
scaeagles
I LIKE!
 
scaeagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,819
scaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight View Post
If you make the decision to exclude your 8 year old from the accompanying lesson plan, and she (she, right?) asks, "Dad, why am I not doing the same homework as everyone else in my class?" would yuo answer honsetly with, "Because the assignment might include opinions that we don't agree with and don't think you should be learning about right now." If so, what do you think that teaches her about hearing opposing opinions?
It is a she. My kids are Heather (15), Jake (10), and Megan (8 on the 17th).

My answer would be "Because it was an assignment on some stuff I was concerned about and the parents were excluded from the process. We can look at the stuff and talk about it together, though.". That is honest.

What that would teach her is opposing opinions are fine and I'm interested in what she's doing (already do homework with her nightly, so that's not really an issue), and some things are important enough that I want to do it with her 100%.
scaeagles is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Betty
Kicking up my heels!
 
Betty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Silver State
Posts: 3,783
Betty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of coolBetty is the epitome of cool
After reading a few pages here it sure seems like everyone is ganging up on scaeagles. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the discussion going on and I hope that scaeagles doesn't get his feelings hurt (or however you want to phrase that) by being singled out a bit.

It's a rare message board where everyone can actually discuss differing viewpoints and not have flaming and/or trolling going on.

/I <3 you guys.
__________________
Nee Stell Thue
Betty is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
scaeagles
I LIKE!
 
scaeagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,819
scaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty View Post
After reading a few pages here it sure seems like everyone is ganging up on scaeagles. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy the discussion going on and I hope that scaeagles doesn't get his feelings hurt (or however you want to phrase that) by being singled out a bit.

It's a rare message board where everyone can actually discuss differing viewpoints and not have flaming and/or trolling going on.

/I <3 you guys.

I'm used to it. Happens all the time around here.

FYI, Betty, I enjoy it around here and it is very infrequent that I feel belittled, and to get ones feelings hurt one must first have feelings. I usually am challenged to defend my positions, which I enjoy, and there are a whole bunch of things I've actually changed my mind on from discussions here, and other things I am more convinced of than ever that I'm right.
scaeagles is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Strangler Lewis
Doing The Job
 
Strangler Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In a state
Posts: 3,956
Strangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of coolStrangler Lewis is the epitome of cool
Funny story from a friend of mine: his sister married a Jewish feller and converted and they had a kid. They were religious but not super religious, but when it came time to send their daugher to high school, they sent her to an Orthodox Jewish school. (I don't know if she had been going to Jewish day schools all along.) The main goal was to shelter her from some of the more challenging aspects of public high school. But . . .

the kid drank the Kool-Aid. "We're not religious enough. Dad, you should grow your beard, etc." The kid got herself emancipated at 16, so she could live with a truly religious family.
__________________

Live now-pay later. Diner's Club!
Strangler Lewis is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Gemini Cricket
...
 
Gemini Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 13,244
Gemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of coolGemini Cricket is the epitome of cool
I'm sure Leo's fine. I'm just trying to stoke the flames of his inner liberal fireplace.
Gemini Cricket is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
scaeagles
I LIKE!
 
scaeagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,819
scaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of coolscaeagles is the epitome of cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
I'm sure Leo's fine. I'm just trying to stoke the flames of his inner liberal fireplace.
That used to be MBC's job. I feel so....so.....rejected.
scaeagles is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
Ghoulish Delight
I Floop the Pig
 
Ghoulish Delight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Alternative Swankstyle
Posts: 19,348
Ghoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of coolGhoulish Delight is the epitome of cool
Send a message via AIM to Ghoulish Delight Send a message via Yahoo to Ghoulish Delight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket View Post
I'm sure Leo's fine. I'm just trying to stoke the flames of his inner liberal fireplace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaeagles View Post
That used to be MBC's job. I feel so....so.....rejected.
You're mistaken, MBC was trying to get some flaming liberal inside of you. Subtle, but substantial, difference.
__________________
'He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me.'
-TJ

Ghoulish Delight is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Motorboat Cruiser
Cruiser of Motorboats
 
Motorboat Cruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 3,665
Motorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of coolMotorboat Cruiser is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Yahoo to Motorboat Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight View Post
You're mistaken, MBC was trying to get some flaming liberal inside of you. Subtle, but substantial, difference.
Precisely.
Motorboat Cruiser is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
BarTopDancer
Prepping...
 
BarTopDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Here, there, everywhere
Posts: 11,405
BarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of coolBarTopDancer is the epitome of cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight View Post
You're mistaken, MBC was trying to get some flaming liberal inside of you. Subtle, but substantial, difference.
From a discussion on right-wing paranoia politics to toasters.

Only on LoT.
__________________
Spork is the new MacGyver



BarTopDancer is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
flippyshark
Senior Member
 
flippyshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,852
flippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of coolflippyshark is the epitome of cool
All well and good, but, what I can't get my head around is, even before they changed the lesson plan, was it really THAT BAD? It seemed thoroughly innocuous to me, just boilerplate elementary school civics. (Heck, I was assigned to write a letter to President Nixon, along with the rest of my classmates, back in the fist grade. Pretty similar stuff - tell the president what you like best about the country, what you want to see happen in the future - I'm sure we all wrote that we wanted a longer recess and Slurpees in the school cafeteria.) If I've understood correctly, the contentious line, which was changed, was "write a letter to yourself about how you might help the president," and that even in the original version, this, in context with the surrounding material, clearly meant "help the president realize his goal of increasing the number of college graduates." Now, really, what the F is wrong with that?
flippyshark is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Lunarpages.com Web Hosting

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.