Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Alex 12-04-2009 10:31 AM

The list does suggest that there is a correlation between killing animals and having a proper take on Christmas.

Moonliner 12-04-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 308186)
You have to wait until 12/25 before you can express a desire that people be merry on 12/25?

Technically, Yes.

The season of Advent is the four weeks leading up to Dec. 25th*

The Christmas season begins at sundown on 24 December and ends at sundown on 5 January. AKA the 12 days of Christmas.

From a semantic point of view, I suppose you could say "I wish you a Marry Christmas" but just "Marry Christmas" is technically incorrect but generally socially acceptable.

* And yes, as most people know December 25th is not Christ's real birthday. I don't' think that's even know for sure. It was chosen primarily to co-op existing pagans celebrations.

Strangler Lewis 12-04-2009 11:45 AM

The comments about people repeating "Merry Christmas" to get it said back to them remind me of movie scenes like the one in The Sound of Music where the local Nazi official repeats "Heil Hitler" until Christopher Plummer's music friend says it back to him.

Moonliner 12-04-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 308190)
The list does suggest that there is a correlation between killing animals and having a proper take on Christmas.

Closer to nature closer to God I suppose.

Alex 12-04-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 308202)
From a semantic point of view, I suppose you could say "I wish you a Marry Christmas" but just "Marry Christmas" is technically incorrect

I don't think I agree with you here, but I suppose it isn't a particularly life-vital point.

How about if I say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" on December 23. Am I wrong twice even though it is pretty clear I don't think today is both of those days?

Moonliner 12-04-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 308208)
I don't think I agree with you here, but I suppose it isn't a particularly life-vital point.

How about if I say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" on December 23. Am I wrong twice even though it is pretty clear I don't think today is both of those days?

I suppose we could settle and just break one kneecap.

Oh and do keep in mind that this entire train of thought came up in relation to how irrational people deal with Christmas. Personally I just appreciate the sentiment when wished good will for pretty much any reason or time of year.

Chernabog 12-04-2009 02:37 PM

Hahahaha! Governor accidentally directs parents to phone sex line. Tee hee!

alphabassettgrrl 12-04-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 308187)
Umm, you're at a retail store. No sh*t they want you to think about purchasing gifts. If you're walking into an American Eagle store hoping for spiritual enlightenment, I really think you've missed the point.

Yep. Exactly. Merry Christmas could potentially discourage atheists, Jews, Hindus, etc from shopping. Happy Holidays is inclusive and welcoming, which could encourage more people to come shop. It's logic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 308216)
Personally I just appreciate the sentiment when wished good will for pretty much any reason or time of year.

I wish more people would think this way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chernabog (Post 308226)

OOps!

Ghoulish Delight 12-04-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabassettgrrl (Post 308227)
Yep. Exactly. Merry Christmas could potentially discourage atheists, Jews, Hindus, etc from shopping. Happy Holidays is inclusive and welcoming, which could encourage more people to come shop. It's logic.

Which is exactly what they find offensive. How dare they acknowledge the existence and right to courtesy of people not like themselves! Satanists!

alphabassettgrrl 12-04-2009 02:56 PM

Yeah, I know. I don't quite get it.

I guess if someone told me they were christian and I worked retail I might wish them a merry christmas.

Depends on my mood, I guess. Otherwise I'd remind them that christmas is included in the happy holidays.

And if I'm really feeling off, tell 'em I celebrate the solstice as a pagan.