Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Ghoulish Delight 08-27-2010 11:35 AM

Holy fvck this is disturbing.

Though I'm always skeptical when these kinds of stories from local school districts hit national media. There's usually some vital details missing for the sake of good story telling.

Alex 08-27-2010 12:17 PM

Wow. And they have a school vote on "Most Beautiful"

Frikitiki 08-27-2010 12:37 PM

^Isn't that called Prom Queen?

Alex 08-27-2010 01:15 PM

No, in addition to assigning class political offices by race they have separate racial rules related to the homecoming king/queen position. Most Popular and Most Beautiful are separate votes.

Kevy Baby 08-27-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 332549)

I agree - they were trying to assure that overall 50% of the Class Presidents were black when blacks only represent about 1/3 of the population.

Alex 08-27-2010 02:14 PM

They were also guaranteeing that none of the class officers would be Asian, Latino, or Pacific Islander (I'm sure there probably aren't a lot there but you figure there must be some).

blueerica 08-27-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 332557)
I agree - they were trying to assure that overall 50% of the Class Presidents were black when blacks only represent about 1/3 of the population.

Actually 0% of the Class Presidents would be black.

Ghoulish Delight 08-27-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 332557)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueerica (Post 332560)
Actually 0% of the Class Presidents would be black.

What was I saying?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 332549)
Though I'm always skeptical when these kinds of stories from local school districts hit national media. There's usually some vital details missing for the sake of good story telling.

As it turns out, Kevy is right. The full policy states that the listed positions would alternate year-to-year. So while only whites could be president this year, only blacks next year. So yes, 50% guaranteed.

The policies were put in place 30 years ago to enforce integration. Now with this scrutiny, the district agrees that it is outdated, inappropriate, and (hopefully) unnecessary. They are dropping the policy.

ETA: still unsettling that it required national attention to get them to make the right decision. However, it's gotta be hard to see the forest for the trees when you're in the thick of it and know that, 30 years ago, there simply would have been no integration without such policies, so if it's been working for 30 years...

Alex 08-27-2010 05:59 PM

Are they the only school down there doing it?

What's odd to me is that they'd do that but not mandate equal representation. Why have 8 positions out of 12 be black or white in a given year; do they have parliamentary procedures requiring a 2/3 supermajority? How have they treated students who aren't white or black? Presumably that's happened at some point in the last 30 years.

Of course, this ignores the fact that having class political offices is stupid to begin with and really stupid in the sixth grade.

Betty 08-27-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 332563)
Are they the only school down there doing it?

What's odd to me is that they'd do that but not mandate equal representation. Why have 8 positions out of 12 be black or white in a given year; do they have parliamentary procedures requiring a 2/3 supermajority? How have they treated students who aren't white or black? .

A different article on this (or maybe it's the same one - I didn't go back and read whole thing) said they, get this, go with if the Mom is black or white because minority Dad's were never around anyway (paraphrasing obviously - but it really was that outrageous).