Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Cadaverous Pallor 10-21-2010 11:24 AM

I'm all for promotion of one's product, but is it really standard for the CEO of a tech company to diss other ideas in the industry? It's the kind of crap I expect from the likes of Donald Trump.

Even if other CEOs did do it, I still find it extremely unappealing.

mousepod 10-21-2010 11:46 AM

OK, CP. You just read the article. Without looking back, what's the name of the RIM guy who's quoted all throughout?

Snowflake 10-21-2010 12:16 PM

I am consumed with lust for a 64Gb iPad, you betcha.

Apple products are cool, are cutting edge and they work. They're also spendy which is why I do not have more Apple toys than I do (like the iPad).

I do not find Apple's marketing any less offensive than the billion other products on the market. In reality, imo, I find most of their ads and marketing to be clever and fun and appealing.

Where I find Steve Jobs to be a real douchebag is this: Jackling House Mansion. Granted, I do not know all the details, but the once beautiful house was allowed to sit open to all weathers and deteriorate while he fought with the preservationists who wanted to save it. It's a pity they could not come to terms to move the house off the property.

Here are some more cool urban spelunking shots of Jackling House from one of my favorite urban spelunking photographers.

Alex 10-21-2010 12:36 PM

Seriously. The turtlenecks.

Cadaverous Pallor 10-21-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousepod (Post 335531)
OK, CP. You just read the article. Without looking back, what's the name of the RIM guy who's quoted all throughout?

I don't know his name. I don't see the point. If you're trying to show that Jobs has higher name recognition, I respond with "duh" and "that doesn't make him less of a douche".

You did make me look back at the article (I've forgotten the RIM guy already) and realized I forgot to quote the douchiest part.
Quote:

Addressing concerns that the iPad had missed it 4.8 million unit target by nearly 20 per cent, selling 4.1 million units, Jobs seemed to lay the blame at the feet of rival tablet makers for not quickly bringing worthy products to markets.
Really, Steve Jobs, Really? I mean, Really? [/sethandamy] You can't top the doucheness here. "We failed to sell enough of our product because you other guys suck." Wow.

Alex 10-21-2010 02:16 PM

He has a potentially valid point there. Whether what Jobs was saying was douchey or not it up to the listener, but I can't say that it was unusually douchey for someone in his position talking about markets. Possibly a bit more aggressive than you'd usually hear but not out of bounds.

Doesn't mean he's right (though he does have a decent track record in this area). Personally I'd be all over a 7" iPad. I look forward to the custom cases that'll be made for using an iPad on one side then flipping it and using a Kindle on the other.

mousepod 10-21-2010 02:56 PM

I'm happy that Steve Jobs made and continues to make Apple and Pixar possible. I enjoy all of the Apple and Pixar products that I decided to buy.

For some reason, people have been down on the "cult of Apple" when Jobs was in charge, when he wasn't in charge, and when he came back again. They attacked Apple fans when their computer market share was 3% and when they dominate the smartphone market.

Personally, I'm not an apologist - but I find the vitriol disturbing, particularly when it comes from my friends.

Ghoulish Delight 10-21-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousepod (Post 335542)
Personally, I'm not an apologist - but I find the vitriol disturbing, particularly when it comes from my friends.

Hmm, perhaps you'd be less disturbed if you weren't taking a shot at Steve Jobs as also a shot at you? And perhaps people would be less down on the cult-of-apple if they didn't take any questioning of apple as a personal slight against them.

Alex 10-21-2010 03:11 PM

Well, I have no real ill will towards Apple products (though I've never been particularly enamored of them). But Steve Jobs does seem to be something of a douche as a person, which has little to do with the quality of the company products.

Personally I just am perplexed by people who reviled Microsoft as evil then have orgasms over each product rumor while Apple does things that are, to my view anyway, worse (in terms of how they try to control information, control products, and control the secondary marketplace). How evil would MS have been if they had a major and growing share of the handset marketplace and then used their position to try and destroy Flash (regardless of how wright or wrong that decision would be)?

I find the whole platform war silly but really, are the slobbering blow jobs and senseless Windows hate from Apple fanatics really any worse than non fanboys mocking Apple?

mousepod 10-21-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 335543)
Hmm, perhaps you'd be less disturbed if you weren't taking a shot at Steve Jobs as also a shot at you? And perhaps people would be less down on the cult-of-apple if they didn't take any questioning of apple as a personal slight against them.

You're right.

Walt Disney was indeed a douchebag.