Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Alex 07-09-2010 07:57 AM

Yeah, I agree. There's nothing wrong with a player going where he will be paid the most or feels it is the best fit for what he wants to accomplish whether in the sport or in life.

That said, the way he's handled the process of doing that does quality, in my opinion, as "narcissistic" and "callous." I didn't see it, so maybe it was great television, but I can't believe that ESPN handed over the network for an hour for him to make the announcement.

Ghoulish Delight 07-09-2010 07:59 AM

Yeah, that is pretty pathetic. Though I'll grant him the "narcissistic" tag. Not that narcissism is a hard characteristic to find in the NBA, but LeBron's 1 hour tv special (of which I watched none) leading up to the 15 seconds it took to announce the decision which had already been leaked 8 hours earlier took things to a whole new level of narcissism.

ETA: or, what Alex said.

mousepod 07-09-2010 09:09 AM

I also didn't watch the Lebron "special" - but I understand that he made the announcement halfway through... and that all of the proceeds went to Boys and Girls Clubs of America. Silver lining, perhaps, but it strikes me as not a horrible way to capitalize on the crazy buzz that the announcement was already generating.

Alex 07-09-2010 09:39 AM

To capitalize on the crazy buzz that only existed because he created the crazy buzz. He had a custom pair of Nikes created for every town he visited while shopping himself around.

Though I'm curious what the proceeds were. Did ESPN actually pay him for this? I know ESPN is something of a joke as an actual journalistic enterprise but I'd have expected more spine than that.

Ghoulish Delight 07-09-2010 09:48 AM

Ad revenue?

Alex 07-09-2010 09:52 AM

I assume, but that would mean ESPN was splitting the house take with him. Which just seems odd for a news event. Unless there was some other means of generating revenue I'm not aware of.

Maybe they've turned "I'm going to Miami" (or whatever he said) into a ringtone.

JWBear 07-09-2010 10:22 AM

I have no idea what you all are talking about; and I have no desire to, either.

alphabassettgrrl 07-09-2010 03:55 PM

"an American Doctor Who" -

Ugh. Please don't. I read an article this morning that noted everything British that we've Americanized has been horrific. It's fine as is- leave it alone.

Come up with something inspired by Who, maybe, but don't clone it.

Ghoulish Delight 07-09-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabassettgrrl (Post 328492)
"an American Doctor Who" -

Ugh. Please don't. I read an article this morning that noted everything British that we've Americanized has been horrific. It's fine as is- leave it alone.

The Office? Three's Company (okay, not my favorite, but a very popular and successful show)? All in the Family? Survivor?

Just off the top of my head. You read a bad article.

alphabassettgrrl 07-09-2010 07:26 PM

Didn't realize some of those were British. It gave a so-so mark to The Office. Not something I watched so I can't say what I thought of it.

Three's Company was British? Huh.

All in the Family? Meh. Again, didn't realize it was British.

Survivor... they could have kept that one. Boo.

Point was that simply translating it over it loses something, and I do agree. I don't think Python would have been the same, nor Torchwood, and the movie/American version of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Universe was horrific. It had a moment here and there, but overall???? Ugh.