Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Sohrshah 08-28-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 235815)
Does any child deserve only 1/18 of their parents' attention? How about 1/18 of their parents' available attention?

Hear hear. If they are both real estate agents- well, last time I checked, that's a time- consuming profession, would you say there, Goonie?

Alex 08-28-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 235815)
Does any child deserve only 1/18 of their parents' attention? How about 1/18 of their parents' available attention?

True, but that's why the Chinese system is best. No child has to share their parents' affections.

Beyond simple bigotry and an urge to point and laugh is there any evidence that any of these children are being maltreated? (I'd say yes, since they are being raised with religion but I'm generally alone in considering that a form of child abuse.)

On my paternal side my grandparents are two of a total of 25 children. There's nothing inherently lacking in it and they both grew up in perfectly loving and supportive families.

Morrigoon 08-28-2008 09:56 PM

Alex: in all things, moderation. Having only one child, IMHO, is almost as bad for the child as having 10.

I think 2-6 children is probably the range that best balances the benefits of having siblings with the benefits of having the attention of their parents. Of course there is no one-size-fits-all answer to family size. But I think we're all capable of recognizing that in every bell curve there are extremes which are, well, extreme.

Alex 08-28-2008 09:59 PM

Oh never mind.

Morrigoon 08-28-2008 10:12 PM

Feh, don't mind me Alex, I'm not in top debating form tonight. I can barely pay attention to anything long enough to write a coherent post, let alone engage you in intelligent discussion.

I think I'll go have some cookies & milk and play Super Mario Bros. instead...

SzczerbiakManiac 08-29-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 235864)
they are being raised with religion but I'm generally alone in considering that a form of child abuse.

You are not alone. But yeah, we probably are.

Disneyphile 08-29-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 236035)
You are not alone. But yeah, we probably are.

You're not completely alone. ;)

However, I don't mind if religions are introduced to a child, but they should also be encouraged and taught to follow their own thoughts and beliefs, first and foremost. (i.e. I don't think children should be told to pray to make things happen. I think they should be told to find strength within themselves to make things happen. And, if that strength comes from an imaginary friend, then that's fine - it's what they want to believe, rather than being told to believe.)

Disneyphile 08-31-2008 12:49 AM

Worker takes bath in Burger King sink and then posts it online.

:rolleyes:

JWBear 08-31-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 236366)

WTF was going on with his hair?!?

CoasterMatt 08-31-2008 11:00 PM

Nut Trouble
Quote:

"The nut got stuck on his penis following an erection..."

Capt Jack 09-01-2008 12:34 AM

ohHHHhhh....that kind of nut

makes perfect sense now

Disneyphile 09-01-2008 12:36 AM

Sometimes you feel like a nut...

JWBear 09-01-2008 08:53 AM

Why do people do these things to themselves?

Cadaverous Pallor 09-01-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 236487)
Why do people do these things to themselves?

Quote:

It said the fire and rescue department were also involved in trying to remove the nut from the unnamed welder, who is in his 20s and hoped the nut would weigh down his penis to make it longer.
Mystery solved. Too bad no one told him it's not about length....though I do wonder how big the nut was.

JWBear 09-01-2008 12:10 PM

Oh, I read his reason for doing it. I was just wondering aloud why people do stupid things to their bodies in general.

Bornieo: Fully Loaded 09-01-2008 04:23 PM

The Next 9 Children's Characters That Should Come Out of the Closet

http://www.cracked.com/article_15668...ut-closet.html

CoasterMatt 09-01-2008 07:12 PM

Man Tries to Amputate His Own Arm
Quote:

"The Denny's closed for the night after the incident."

Alex 09-01-2008 07:13 PM

Finally answering the old joke question about "why do the doors at Denny's have locks?"

Betty 09-04-2008 03:56 PM

Airman from WWII found dangling in tree in New Guinea.

They suspect he was trapped in his parachute... he's now trapped in moss.

Alex 09-04-2008 04:12 PM

That's not so odd. Just the day before yesterday I saw an Airman from WWII shaking hands with Cindy McCain.

cirquelover 09-04-2008 06:13 PM

I was going to say something witty here but it kept coming off stupid. Thanks for the laugh Alex.

JWBear 09-04-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 237418)
That's not so odd. Just the day before yesterday I saw an Airman from WWII shaking hands with Cindy McCain.

Was he dead too?

Alex 09-04-2008 09:02 PM

Actually, I was surprised at how gimpy he was and that he was shorter than someone he was shaking hands with who didn't seem that tall.

First time I've seen George HW Bush look like a really old man (which, of course, he is).

Morrigoon 09-05-2008 02:33 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26559643/&GT1=43001

Heh. At what point do you realize this is a problem and put a sign in your front yard warning people that the parrot makes human sounding cries?

Ghoulish Delight 09-05-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 237621)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26559643/&GT1=43001

Heh. At what point do you realize this is a problem and put a sign in your front yard warning people that the parrot makes human sounding cries?

Hmm, the perfect crime. Train a bird to do this a few times, get the neighborhood used to it and the police sick of coming out, pop a sign in the front yard...then let the fun begin!

Morrigoon 09-05-2008 03:08 PM

Actually, that thought had occurred to me... something along the lines of those people who keep other people prisoner for decades.

Betty 09-07-2008 12:04 PM

More of a link then a news story and totally NSFW! You should be intrigued but forwarned - I give you the Hooter Shooter.

alphabassettgrrl 09-07-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 237883)
More of a link then a news story and totally NSFW! You should be intrigued but forwarned - I give you the Hooter Shooter.

While the picture of one squirting red liquid was a bit disturbing, overall I find the concept quite entertaining. Who's gonna model one for me? :)

Cadaverous Pallor 09-07-2008 01:10 PM

Yuck.

Gn2Dlnd 09-08-2008 01:02 PM

Gallagher hurt after stage attack

Sadly, not the one you were thinking of.

CoasterMatt 09-08-2008 01:06 PM

I might not have been the one I was thinking of, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.

I've still got my money on a Liam/Noel murder suicide.

Alex 09-08-2008 01:25 PM

Never heard of either the band or the person so definitely not the one I was thinking of.

So when you said it was one I wasn't thinking of I picked Peter Gallagher title holder in the category "Creepiest Lips in Hollywood (Non Jolie)."

Disneyphile 09-08-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd (Post 238076)
Gallagher hurt after stage attack

Sadly, not the one you were thinking of.

Damn. I was thinking, "Sledge-o-Matic Strikes Back!" :(

Ghoulish Delight 09-08-2008 02:00 PM

Interestingly, even if had been the one you were thinking of, it still mightn't have been the one you were thinking of. His younger brother, who looks almost identical too him, the lucky guy, stole his act and toured. Though the younger brother lost in court over it, so theoretically he's no longer doing so.

Ghoulish Delight 09-08-2008 02:52 PM

These guys are so not bacon:

Burglars Wake Men with Spice Rub.

Betty 09-08-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 238108)

That was so starnge and odd - and I just had to laugh! Rubbed with spices and smacked with a sausage!

Disneyphile 09-08-2008 04:46 PM

So, the money was recovered, but what about the sausage? Were they able to link it to the thief? Will they still be grinding away for evidence in the coming months?

Cadaverous Pallor 09-08-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 238108)

Dude, Fresno is fuuuucked uuuuup.

Mousey Girl 09-08-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadaverous Pallor (Post 238161)
Dude, Fresno is fuuuucked uuuuup.

Yes it is!

Snowflake 09-09-2008 04:06 PM

Life Endangering or Life Preserving?

A Big Mac a day since 1972 prolong life? Or is it just cause he's from Wisconsin, 3984?

I think if it were me, and if I'd had that kind of obesssion, I would have died in 1977.

A Big Mac a Day Keeps the Doctor Away?

Kevy Baby 09-09-2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 238440)
I think if it were me, and if I'd had that kind of obesssion, I would have died in 1977.

I would have wanted to die by 1973

Capt Jack 09-09-2008 04:15 PM

its making me want to recycle my last 5 meals just imagining it.

CoasterMatt 09-09-2008 09:13 PM

American Airlines loses corpse
Quote:

American Airlines sent the body of a Brooklyn mom to the wrong country for burial - and then callously demanded more money to fix the screwup, the widower and others involved in a lawsuit charged Monday.

CoasterMatt 09-11-2008 06:42 PM

Penis Size Massacre
Quote:

"Three people were shot dead and two others are fighting for their lives after a remark about a patron's penis size escalated into a bloodbath at a tavern in Umbilo, Durban, on Wednesday night... "At some stage, one man from each group went into the tavern's toilets and there was an argument over the size of their penises". When the men returned to their friends the argument escalated."
Penis Pokey gone horribly wrong? :eek:

CoasterMatt 09-16-2008 10:41 PM

Drunk Man Has Sex With Car

Article features wonderful picture, in flagrante delicto.

Kevy Baby 09-17-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 240067)
Drunk Man Has Sex With Car

Article features wonderful picture, in flagrante delicto.

In the picture, it looks like he is still wearing his skivvies.

Kevy Baby 09-17-2008 10:16 AM

Soy is making kids 'gay'

I can't make this stuff up!

Quote:

There's a slow poison out there that's severely damaging our children and threatening to tear apart our culture. The ironic part is, it's a "health food," one of our most popular.

Now, I'm a health-food guy, a fanatic who seldom allows anything into his kitchen unless it's organic. I state my bias here just so you'll know I'm not anti-health food.

The dangerous food I'm speaking of is soy. Soybean products are feminizing, and they're all over the place. You can hardly escape them anymore.

I have nothing against an occasional soy snack. Soy is nutritious and contains lots of good things. Unfortunately, when you eat or drink a lot of soy stuff, you're also getting substantial quantities of estrogens.

Estrogens are female hormones. If you're a woman, you're flooding your system with a substance it can't handle in surplus. If you're a man, you're suppressing your masculinity and stimulating your "female side," physically and mentally.

In fetal development, the default is being female. All humans (even in old age) tend toward femininity. The main thing that keeps men from diverging into the female pattern is testosterone, and testosterone is suppressed by an excess of estrogen.

If you're a grownup, you're already developed, and you're able to fight off some of the damaging effects of soy. Babies aren't so fortunate. Research is now showing that when you feed your baby soy formula, you're giving him or her the equivalent of five birth control pills a day. A baby's endocrine system just can't cope with that kind of massive assault, so some damage is inevitable. At the extreme, the damage can be fatal.

Soy is feminizing, and commonly leads to a decrease in the size of the penis, sexual confusion and homosexuality. That's why most of the medical (not socio-spiritual) blame for today's rise in homosexuality must fall upon the rise in soy formula and other soy products. (Most babies are bottle-fed during some part of their infancy, and one-fourth of them are getting soy milk!) Homosexuals often argue that their homosexuality is inborn because "I can't remember a time when I wasn't homosexual." No, homosexuality is always deviant. But now many of them can truthfully say that they can't remember a time when excess estrogen wasn't influencing them.

Doctors used to hope soy would reduce hot flashes, prevent cancer and heart disease, and save millions in the Third World from starvation. That was before they knew much about long-term soy use. Now we know it's a classic example of a cure that's worse than the disease. For example, if your baby gets colic from cow's milk, do you switch him to soy milk? Don't even think about it. His phytoestrogen level will jump to 20 times normal. If he is a she, brace yourself for watching her reach menarche as young as seven, robbing her of years of childhood. If he is a boy, it's far worse: He may not reach puberty till much later than normal.

Research in 2000 showed that a soy-based diet at any age can lead to a weak thyroid, which commonly produces heart problems and excess fat. Could this explain the dramatic increase in obesity today?

Recent research on rats shows testicular atrophy, infertility and uterus hypertrophy (enlargement). This helps explain the infertility epidemic and the sudden growth in fertility clinics. But alas, by the time a soy-damaged infant has grown to adulthood and wants to marry, it's too late to get fixed by a fertility clinic.

Worse, there's now scientific evidence that estrogen ingredients in soy products may be boosting the rapidly rising incidence of leukemia in children. In the latest year we have numbers for, new cases in the U.S. jumped 27 percent. In one year!

There's also a serious connection between soy and cancer in adults – especially breast cancer. That's why the governments of Israel, the UK, France and New Zealand are already cracking down hard on soy.

In sad contrast, 60 percent of the refined foods in U.S. supermarkets now contain soy. Worse, soy use may double in the next few years because (last I heard) the out-of-touch medicrats in the FDA hierarchy are considering allowing manufacturers of cereal, energy bars, fake milk, fake yogurt, etc., to claim that "soy prevents cancer." It doesn't.

P.S.: Soy sauce is fine. Unlike soy milk, it's perfectly safe because it's fermented, which changes its molecular structure. Miso, natto and tempeh are also OK, but avoid tofu.

Moonliner 09-17-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 240114)
Soy is making kids 'gay'

I can't make this stuff up!

Despite the flame bating headline and irresponsable jounalisim in the article, there is some truth to idea that soy has some down sides health wise. Here is a more balanced article on the subject.

Morrigoon 09-17-2008 10:30 AM

Miso is fine but avoid tofu? Isn't miso soup MADE WITH tofu?

Moonliner 09-17-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 240124)
Miso is fine but avoid tofu? Isn't miso soup MADE WITH tofu?

Miso is not tofu, it actually pre-dates it by a good bit. However it is certainly the norm (at least here in the US) to find cubes of tofu in miso soup.

Alex 09-17-2008 10:42 AM

Miso is not tofu but it is certainly (in almost every place you're going to find it) soy. However, it is fermented soy so would be ok (per the quote article above) for the same reason soy sauce is ok.

I don't really by into most of the soy hysteria you can find out there. I do have problems with it being used as a protein replacement in so much processed food but that stems from the same reasons I have a problem with corn becoming the primary source of carbohydrates. Both soy and corn have become methods of turning oil into food.

Morrigoon 09-17-2008 11:30 AM

I buy that, Alex. Our food manufacturing industry is a major player IMHO, in the nation's obesity epidemic. Our food in this country is crap, quality wise.

alphabassettgrrl 09-17-2008 10:05 PM

That's funny - the vegetarian at work is one of the biggest horn-dogs I know.

Gn2Dlnd 09-17-2008 11:30 PM

World Net Daily is crap.

Disneyphile 09-18-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 240067)

The video is especially hysterical.
Someone even dubbed music over it. :snap:

Disneyphile 09-18-2008 04:39 PM

Actor Beats Cat to Death

:(

I hope this destroys his career. They should lock him in with Michael Vick.

Stan4dSteph 09-18-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 240420)
Actor Beats Cat to Death

:(

I hope this destroys his career. They should lock him in with Michael Vick.

That's terrible. The poor cat. :(

CoasterMatt 09-18-2008 06:41 PM

It's almost bad enough he was associated with Sex In The City.

What a jerk.

Brigitte 09-23-2008 01:44 PM

Breast Art

My friend found this ad on our local Craiglist which leads to the above link. I guess if people can paint with their hands and feet, why not?

Kevy Baby 09-23-2008 01:52 PM

For man cut nearly in two by train, ‘life is good’
Despite horrific injuries, he dialed 911: ‘I wanted to see my babies grow up’
Quote:

For more than two years after he was cut in half by a train, Truman Duncan avoided media requests for interviews as he recovered from his injuries and went back to a full and productive life. Now, he’s speaking out to let others, including soldiers who have suffered traumatic injuries like his, know that life is still very much worth living.

“Life is good,” Duncan told TODAY’s Matt Lauer Monday in New York. “Life goes on.”
The Whole Story

Crazybirdman 09-24-2008 11:58 AM

http://www.wnbc.com/news/17539627/detail.html

PETA Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

Alex 09-24-2008 12:09 PM

This time around I've decided to be strongly opposed to the idea.

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 04:14 PM

Man's Butt Stapled Shut

Ghoulish Delight 09-24-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 241665)

Quote:

Varner said Watkins’ habitual smoking — two packs a day — contributed to his bowel problems, because nicotine constricts blood vessels.
Watkins underwent surgery Sept. 8, 2004, for a newly diagnosed rectal tumor, during which Casiano made the mistake, according to his lawsuit against the Foris Surgical Group.
Um, how exactly was he smoking those cigarettes?

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 06:07 PM

Rectum? Damn Near Killed 'em.

Quote:

The suspected museum thief who was impaled by a sharp spike on the top of a security fence in his rectum for two hours earlier this month says he did not feel any pain because he was drunk.

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 06:12 PM

Got Milk?
Quote:

Eight to 10 members of an Arizona State University fraternity are believed to have caused a car accident by vomiting milk onto traffic below an ASU footbridge on University Drive Tuesday night.

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 08:19 PM

Here's an illustration to go with the ASU Milk story-

Spoiler:
Not for the squeamish
Spoiler:

innerSpaceman 09-24-2008 08:28 PM

Ya know, I clicked on the first one, and I would normally click the second even if there's a warning saying "not for the squeamish"

But not if that warning comes from CoasterMatt.

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innerSpaceman (Post 241732)
Ya know, I clicked on the first one, and I would normally click the second even if there's a warning saying "not for the squeamish"

But not if that warning comes from CoasterMatt.

That made me feel all warm and, something. :)

Capt Jack 09-24-2008 08:34 PM

ew

bewitched 09-24-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 241704)

Exactly how fcuking drunk was he? I would have to be on a weeklong bender of Jaagermeister snot-slinging drunkenness...and even then I imagine I would feel a sharp spike in my rectum. :eek:

Ghoulish Delight 09-24-2008 10:03 PM

Sadly, the wieners were detonated as a precaution.

CoasterMatt 09-24-2008 10:08 PM

At least they weren't Dodger Dogs.

Betty 09-25-2008 07:02 AM

Man goes in for a circumcision and comes out with no penis at all. :(

Betty 09-25-2008 07:27 AM

Go in for a C-section - and come out with no arms and no legs! WTF! Even better (or rather worse) is that they won't tell her why because it invades another patients rights.

Moonliner 09-25-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 241785)

I guess that shows that getting more than you paid for is not always a good thing.

Capt Jack 09-25-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 241785)

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Penis Guy
The man says, dude, wtf, you cut off my penis. It doesn't grow back, and it was kind of important to me.

yeah....barring a few more colorful epithets, that woulda been my reaction.

Kevy Baby 09-25-2008 11:39 AM

Pony-size pig holds woman captive, sent to stud
Hog made 'aggressive demands' to be fed, headbutted her door

Quote:

A pony-size pig who held an Australian woman hostage for 10 days inside her home will be removed on Wednesday to a piggery, where his bacon will be saved by a stint on stud duties, rangers said.
Whole Hog Story.

Maybe I should cross-post this in the Bacon thread.

Not Afraid 09-25-2008 11:45 AM

Get the to a piggery.

Alex 09-25-2008 11:52 AM

I was not aware the word existed, but piggery is a mighty fine word.

Strangler Lewis 09-25-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 241868)
Pony-size pig holds woman captive, sent to stud
Hog made 'aggressive demands' to be fed, headbutted her door

Whole Hog Story.

Maybe I should cross-post this in the Bacon thread.

And in a related story, an Australian man, expecting a reciprocal punishment, terrorized a sow for ten days.

alphabassettgrrl 09-25-2008 07:33 PM

I've heard of medical mistakes, but wow.

CoasterMatt 09-25-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabassettgrrl (Post 242072)
I've heard of medical mistakes, but wow.

Wouldn't that be butt, wow? :)

alphabassettgrrl 09-25-2008 08:53 PM

No butts were harmed in the last two stories. I'd actually forgotten about the stapled-shut one when I posted it.

CoasterMatt 09-25-2008 09:02 PM

Naked Clown Calendars - there's a Christmas/Hannukah gift there, for some sick freak.

Capt Jack 09-25-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangler Lewis (Post 241879)
And in a related story, an Australian man, expecting a reciprocal punishment, terrorized a sow for ten days.

the two are now registered at macy's and home depot

bewitched 09-26-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 242102)
Naked Clown Calendars - there's a Christmas/Hannukah gift there, for some sick freak.

Other than the scary-ass clown thing, the guy in the 2nd picture has a pretty hot body. :D

Kevy Baby 09-26-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 242102)

Definitely not a gift for BTD.

CoasterMatt 09-26-2008 10:07 PM

Radical Muslim Cleric's Daughter is Pole Dancer
Quote:

"As the daughter of firebrand cleric Omar Bakri Mohammed, Yasmin Fostok might be expected to share his fanatical beliefs. But the radical Muslim's daughter has ditched his extreme interpretation of Islam -- as well as most of her clothing. The busty blonde has been revealed as a topless, tattooed pole dancer."

CoasterMatt 09-26-2008 10:11 PM

Exploding Custard Disaster
Quote:

The driver was unaware that his lorry, carrying 26 tonnes of Ambrosia custard and rice pudding to a local supermarket, was on fire and motorists were forced to flag him down.

He eventually stopped on the A382 in Chagford, Devon, and fled the truck seconds before 60,000 cans began exploding "like thousands of gunshots".
I bet the road looked like the floor of a porno theater...

CoasterMatt 09-26-2008 11:21 PM

Hookers to Get BJ's In A Mall - Might be a bad choice of headlines :)

Disneyphile 09-27-2008 12:51 AM

Japan holds adult diaper fashion show!

Disneyphile 09-27-2008 01:04 AM

Man charged with dumping silicone girlfriend!

JWBear 09-30-2008 10:06 AM

Man hugs police officer, gets arrested

Quote:

Luke Schreder thought the police officer looked like he just "needed a hug."

The police officer disagreed.

JWBear 09-30-2008 10:11 AM

Exploding custard truck sends driver running

Quote:

The first we knew about it was a whiff of smoke and burning sugar and then suddenly it just erupted.

JWBear 09-30-2008 04:52 PM

Woman Wearing Cow Suit Charged With Disorderly Conduct

Disneyphile 09-30-2008 04:56 PM

Or, was it disudderly conduct? ;)

I should write these damn headlines.

Kevy Baby 09-30-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 243245)
Or, was it disudderly conduct? ;)

That was udderly ridiculous.

Disneyphile 09-30-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 243251)
That was udderly ridiculous.

You know me. I'll milk it for all it's worth. ;)

CoasterMatt 09-30-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 243092)

This looks oddly familiar ;)

Moonliner 09-30-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 243267)

What do you suppose the chances of that are? Two custard trucks exploding in the same day.

Tom 09-30-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 243241)

I can't look at this picture and JWBear's sig line under it without thinking that it is a quote from the woman in the picture.

JWBear 09-30-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 243267)

Oops... Sorry.

DreadPirateRoberts 10-01-2008 10:14 AM

For KB:

Hookers to get BJ's in a mall

Kevy Baby 10-01-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreadPirateRoberts (Post 243417)

Well, that is a very unfortunate headline!

Morrigoon 10-01-2008 03:52 PM

This seems appropriate for the month of October:

Coffin elevator kills funeral home worker:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26978142/

Ghoulish Delight 10-02-2008 09:24 AM

Ever feel like the weather always seems the worst on weekends?

You may be right! According to a German study that compiled 15 years of weather data, Saturdays have the most rain, Sundays are the cloudiest, and Wednesdays are the warmest.

Stupidly they are claiming a causal effect from work week traffic (a week's worth of traffic allows particulate matter to accumulate in the atmosphere and encourage condensation/clouds/precipitation). It's a good hypothesis, but certainly not supported by study.

link

Ghoulish Delight 10-02-2008 11:04 AM

Robber uses Craigslist want ad to aid in robbery

cirquelover 10-02-2008 11:31 AM

I thought the robber was clever in using decoys near the bank but why get away in an innertube?!

Capt Jack 10-02-2008 11:52 AM

:cool:

Kevy Baby 10-02-2008 12:19 PM

Unless he posted the ad from an easily traceable computer (that pins the post to the individual), I gotta say that it was a smart tactic. I can't of course condone what he did, but he does get points for creativity.

Kevy Baby 10-02-2008 02:05 PM

$1.75 eBay bid gets abandoned Michigan home

Quote:

SAGINAW, Mich. - With a winning bid of just $1.75, a Chicago woman has won an auction for an abandoned home in Saginaw. Joanne Smith, 30, recently was the top bidder for the home during an auction on eBay, The Saginaw News reported. Her bid was one of eight for the home.
The Whole Story

The part that I don't understand is how the WINNING bid was only $1.75 if there were EIGHT people bidding on this.

Capt Jack 10-02-2008 03:24 PM

oy....looking at the house, I suppose she could recoup her cost in firewood by knocking the place to the ground....with her fist

and knowing ebay, it was for the house only...and she now has 72 hours to get it off the land underneath it.

Alex 10-02-2008 03:28 PM

I wonder if she is going to finance with an option ARM. If she plays her cards right within a couple years she could end up owing $5.

Alex 10-03-2008 06:32 AM

I demand any Australians present explain this behavior! I will have to demand that American zoos bar admission to Australian children.

7-year-old boy goes on killing spree at local reptile zoo.

Moonliner 10-03-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 243939)
I demand any Australians present explain this behavior! I will have to demand that American zoos bar admission to Australian children.

I don't see the problem. He was perfectly within his rights. No crime was committed, no laws broken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by news
Police were called and questioned the boy, who comes from a family well known in the local area, but because of his age they are unable to do anything. According to Northern Territory law, children under 10 are not liable for criminal offences.

How old is Bindi? Perhaps she can go beat this kid to death.

Alex 10-03-2008 07:59 AM

Unfortunately, Bindi turned ten (according to Wikipedia) this past June 24.

Her younger brother, however, is five.

bewitched 10-03-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 243967)
Her younger brother, however, is five.

Being Steve Irwin's kid, I suspect he can take the little ****. :D

Quote:

According to Mr Neindorf, the “nasty” boy’s brother was part of a group who attacked Terry the crocodile about five years ago.
I hope the zoo does sue the family for damages. Maybe the parents will take a little freakin' responsibility for their kids.

cirquelover 10-03-2008 10:02 AM

I was sickened by that story and the fact that they won't do anything to the child because he was too young!
It said on the news he killed a crocodile, how the hell did he manage to do that?! This kid needs serious help or something!

Ghoulish Delight 10-03-2008 11:03 AM

Managers will be thinking twice about putting a play on against this guy with a runner on base...

Mets Pitcher Ambiorix Burgos Allegedly Kills Two People in a Hit and Run

For those that don't follow baseball, a "hit and run" also happens to be a term used to describe strategy play in baseball.

Capt Jack 10-03-2008 11:25 AM

punishment is not the most important thing for the Aussie kid. he needs serious....SERIOUS mental and emotional help, lest he become another Dahmer...who also started out killing animals before graduating to...the next level as it were.

sumthin's seriously effed up in that ones wiring

Ghoulish Delight 10-03-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 244021)
sumthin's seriously effed up in that ones wiring

And it apparently runs in the family as his older brother was involved in attacking the croc a few years ago too apparently.

Alex 10-03-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 244021)
Dahmer...who also started out killing animals before graduating to...the next level as it were.

Eating animals?

BarTopDancer 10-03-2008 12:11 PM

UGH! What the fvck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the worst story I've read in a long time. Those poor animals!

Kevy Baby 10-03-2008 12:23 PM

It makes me ill. I can say no more.

Betty 10-03-2008 05:03 PM

Cat grows wings.

Animal Oddities
This male cat in China's Shanxi province has two wings on his back. The wings started as bumps and then grew into two 10-centimeter-long wings.
(CNImaging/newscom.com)

Strangler Lewis 10-03-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 244102)
Cat grows wings.

Animal Oddities
This male cat in China's Shanxi province has two wings on his back. The wings started as bumps and then grew into two 10-centimeter-long wings.
(CNImaging/newscom.com)

This is Tiddles . . .

bewitched 10-03-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Cat grows wings.

Animal Oddities
(CNImaging/newscom.com)

I meet your winged cat and raise you a 4 eared cat.

alphabassettgrrl 10-03-2008 05:58 PM

Kitty ate one too many birds!

Deebs 10-03-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

WTH?

I think that might be the coolest thing I have ever seen. I want a winged feline. How excellent would it be if he could fly, too?

Betty 10-03-2008 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deebs (Post 244122)
WTH?

I think that might be the coolest thing I have ever seen. I want a winged feline. How excellent would it be if he could fly, too?

Yeah - on the one hand. On the other there's those moments I think of birds pooping on the car and what that might be like with a flying kitteh.

Drince88 10-04-2008 12:46 PM

I can't look at that winged cat and see anything other than giant, "well cultivated", hair mats!

Alex 10-04-2008 01:44 PM

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Any evidence that there is anything other than hair there?

Kevy Baby 10-04-2008 03:44 PM

There appears to be a human hand there as well

lashbear 10-04-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 243939)

I was going to write a witty rejoinder, but on reading the article, I'm too disgusted to.

I'd love to know what the parents are like... If they're actually decent parents, and the kid just snuck out to do this without them knowing, then I hope they force him to do volunteer work there shovelling sh|t every weekend until he's 40 (and no Playstation, Wii, or Bacon)

RStar 10-04-2008 09:02 PM

They said they can't do anything because of his age. Bull pucky if you ask me. They could send him to counsiling before he starts doing that kind of thing to humans. Next hell be beating babies and throwing them in to the crock. He is a mental case.

Betty 10-07-2008 06:52 AM

Fox runs over fox. Fox puts dead fox in back seat because he wants the fox tail. fox revives and bites Fox causing Fox to crash. Fox fox fox.

Kevy Baby 10-07-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lashbear (Post 244234)
(and no Playstation, Wii, or Bacon)

Doesn't that fall under "cruel and unusual" punishment?

I hear the man's wife is a real fox!

Morrigoon 10-07-2008 08:43 AM

Nepal curses kid with life of a living diety: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27065016/

(poor girl!)

Betty 10-07-2008 08:46 AM

How sad. They isolate her and "worship" her until she hits puberty then they're done with her. No education and will probably never marry. What an effed up thing do to to a little girl... and what an "honor". ?

Morrigoon 10-07-2008 09:47 AM

Yeah, pretty screwed up. Imagine what that does to her psyche too, going from worshipped to rejected.

Kevy Baby 10-07-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 244633)
Yeah, pretty screwed up. Imagine what that does to her psyche too, going from worshiped to rejected.

So, she would feel like the average American teenager?

JWBear 10-07-2008 03:19 PM

What would you know about the average American teenage girl?

(Wait.... No, don't answer that. I don't want to know....)

Kevy Baby 10-07-2008 04:01 PM

Wow, that (my post above) didn't come out correctly...

:blush:

cirquelover 10-07-2008 08:27 PM

Remeber the lady who was stuck to the toliet?! Well her boyfriend won the lottery, it sounds like twice literally. It doesn't mention her in the article, I just thought it was an interesting aside http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27073475/from/ET/

Kevy Baby 10-08-2008 10:04 AM

Blonde sues L'Oreal over brown dye
Woman says dye ruined her hair, but judge gives her the brush-off
Quote:

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - A Connecticut judge has given the brush-off to a blonde woman's lawsuit claiming L'Oreal Inc. ruined her social life when she accidentally dyed her hair brunette with one of its products.
The colorful story.

cirquelover 10-08-2008 10:18 AM

So the blonde can't read the side of a box and sues L'Oreal for her stupidity?! Why can't she go back to blonde, can't you just let it grow out? This question is from a lady who has dyed her hair twice, so I really don't know but just assumed it would disapate after many washings.

Ghoulish Delight 10-08-2008 10:43 AM

A little too late to help GusGus I think, but good to know anyway:

Honey may be best treatment for burns.

Moonliner 10-08-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 244991)
Blonde sues L'Oreal over brown dye
Woman says dye ruined her hair, but judge gives her the brush-off
The colorful story.

A blonde was really tired of being made fun of, so she decided to dye her hair brunette.

As a brunette, she decided to take a drive in the country.

After she had been driving for a while, she saw a farmer and a flock of sheep and thought,

"Oh! Those sheep are so adorable!"
She got out and walked over to the farmer and said,
"If I can guess how many sheep you have, can I take one home?"
The farmer, being a bit of a gambler himself, said she could have a try.

The blonde looked at the flock and guessed, "157."

The farmer was amazed - she was right! So the blonde, (who looked like a brunette), picked one out and got back into her car.

Before she left, farmer walked up to her and said.

"If I can guess the real color of your hair, can I have my dog back?"

JWBear 10-08-2008 12:22 PM

So, this blonde called her brunette friend. "I'm so upset", she sobbed.
"What's wrong", asked the brunette.
"I've been trying to put together this jigsaw puzzle of a rooster for weeks! None of the pieces fit together! Can you come over and help?"
"I'll come by this evening", replied the friend.

That evening, the brunette walked into the blonde's kitchen, took one look pieces spread across the table, and told the blond, "Honey, put the corn flakes back in the box."

Capt Jack 10-08-2008 12:31 PM

what goes "blonde, brunette, blonde, brunette, blonde, brunette,"?

Spoiler:
naked blonde doing cartwheels

yeah, ok, its the only one I could think of

Kevy Baby 10-08-2008 03:29 PM

Why are all blonde jokes one-liners?

Spoiler:
So that men can understand them.

The Lovely Mrs. tod 10-08-2008 04:59 PM

A blonde needs to earn some extra money. So she decides to hire herself out for odd jobs around the neighborhood. The first door she knocks on is answered by a guy who takes one look and says "sure, I need someone to paint my porch. When can you start?" The blonds says "Right away." The guy's wife says "what are you, nuts? You're going to let HER paint the porch?" "Don't be so negative" he says to his wife. "You're buying into the blonde stereotype. She seems like a nice kid and she's willing to work"

So the guy tells the girl there's paint and brushes in the garage and the blonde gets to work.

She knocks on the door later that afternoon. "All finished!"

"That's great! And so fast! How much do I owe you?"

"Fifty dollars"

The man hands her fifty, and another fifty on top of that. "Wow, thanks!" says the blonde.

"You're welcome. I'll be happy to have you work for me again if you'd like to come back."

"Sure, I'd love to. But I think you should know something. It's not a porch. It's a Lexus."

wendybeth 10-08-2008 06:43 PM

This is a good sort of WTF story- I think this guy rocks:Sheriff refuses to evict people

I'm not sure what the answer is in this situation, but since most of the banks are just letting the homes deteriorate I can't see where it hurts them any. They need to work out a deal with tenants that ensures the property is continued to be cared for and allows tenants time to get up the funds to move. Anyway, it's nice to see some compassion in action.

Cadaverous Pallor 10-08-2008 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 245012)
A little too late to help GusGus I think, but good to know anyway:

Honey may be best treatment for burns.

Next time I burn myself in the wild, I'll go knock down a beehive.

alphabassettgrrl 10-08-2008 10:30 PM

Honey helps infected wounds, too. Helps keep scarring down on non-infected cuts and scrapes. I can't find the article but it works against stuff that is resistant to antibiotics.

Lavender can help burns, too.

CoasterMatt 10-09-2008 07:48 PM

This is one frisky moose...

Quote:

“I pulled in this morning and at first thought there was a horse in the driveway but then realized it was a moose,” Dunbar said. “It kind of circled the truck. It put one leg up and then a second front leg. After a few minutes, it became obvious what was going on. The people here for classes came outside and started taking pictures. The guy who owned the truck kept beeping his alarm, hoping it would scare it off but I guess (the moose) thought it was the call of the wild.”

Capt Jack 10-10-2008 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadaverous Pallor (Post 245096)
Next time I burn myself in the wild, I'll go knock down a beehive.

yeah, just what Id want to go with my burns, a thousand bee stings

___
probably ancient or outright false, but eh....I laughed
:D

JWBear 10-15-2008 01:04 PM

When Jesus returns, they are soooo busted!

Kevy Baby 10-15-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 246074)

Love your headline!

Morrigoon 10-15-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 246074)

Dude, isn't this the kind of crap Jesus got pissed about in the first place?

Betty 10-15-2008 01:58 PM

Huh. Religion, so full of the love they neighbor and all that, certainly makes people crazy at times. If only they'd practice what they preach - literally.

LSPoorEeyorick 10-16-2008 10:20 AM

Lawyer attempts to convince jury that rape victim can't possibly have suffered terribly from her rape because her Facebook page has pictures of her "laughing and smiling at a fancy dress party in the years since the rape."

Yes, because people who have been raped can't possibly smile, ever, ever, again. Link.

Kevy Baby 10-16-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSPoorEeyorick (Post 246310)
Lawyer attempts to convince jury that rape victim can't possibly have suffered terribly from her rape because her Facebook page has pictures of her "laughing and smiling at a fancy dress party in the years since the rape."

Yes, because people who have been raped can't possibly smile, ever, ever, again. Link.

Reminds me of the story were a woman who was being raped and insisted that robber put on a condom. Because of this, the defense said that the sex was consensual.

I will keep looking for a link to that story.

Capt Jack 10-16-2008 10:40 AM

yeah, I remember that story....it didnt work.

Bornieo: Fully Loaded 10-16-2008 08:39 PM

Scientists say stick bug is world's longest insect

Quote:

LONDON - A stick bug from the island of Borneo measuring well over a foot in length has been identified by researchers as the world's longest insect, British scientists said Thursday
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/..._very_long_bug

You're welcome...

Kevy Baby 10-16-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bornieo: Fully Loaded (Post 246549)
Quote:

LONDON - A stick bug from the island of Borneo measuring well over a foot in length has been identified by researchers as the world's longest insect, British scientists said Thursday

They spelt Bornieo wrong

CoasterMatt 10-16-2008 08:52 PM

THAT'S a big burger

Quote:

CLEARFIELD, Pa. - It took Brad Sciullo 4 hours and 39 minutes to finish a marathon. A meat marathon, that is. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound western Pennsylvania chef is the first person to eat a monstrosity called the Beer Barrel Belly Bruiser: a 15-pound burger with toppings and a bun that brought the total weight to 20.2 pounds.

Bornieo: Fully Loaded 10-16-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 246552)
They spelt Bornieo wrong

The f*ckers...

Betty 10-17-2008 07:40 AM

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...538053&ref=rss

Quote:

Man gets community work for cruelty to mouse
4:40PM Friday Oct 17, 2008

An Auckland man has been sentenced to community work after pleading guilty to animal cruelty charges.

Lindsay Rowles pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges and offensive behaviour after he grabbed a mouse from a woman's cleavage, pretended to eat it, and killed it in the process, Newstalkzb reported today.

An indecent assault charge was withdrawn.

Rowles was sentenced to 180 hours community service and one year's supervision with drug and alcohol counselling.

Last year his two children drowned when his boat sank in the Hauraki Gulf and Rowles has pleaded not guilty to operating a vessel causing unnecessary danger or risk.

He is expected to reappear for an estimated four-day hearing beginning on November 24.

- NZPA

So - did he put the mouse in her cleavage or was it just hanging out there when he spotted it and grabbed it? And was this a stranger or someone he knew? WTF?

Snowflake 10-17-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 246558)

Would have been better if they'd added a pound of bacon, too.

SzczerbiakManiac 10-17-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 246558)

How many "movements" did he take during those four+ hours? Cause I just don't see any way his digestive system could hold all that mass. He's not a big guy.

He is kinda cute though.

Kevy Baby 10-17-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 246625)
How many "movements" did he take during those four+ hours? Cause I just don't see any way his digestive system could hold all that mass.

Yes, one does need to take special actions to handle that much meat.

Morrigoon 10-17-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 246598)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...538053&ref=rss

So - did he put the mouse in her cleavage or was it just hanging out there when he spotted it and grabbed it? And was this a stranger or someone he knew? WTF?

I would venture a guess that it was probably her pet.

Snowflake 10-20-2008 12:34 PM

I have no words

this is sickening. :(

I hope Bobo does survive. It's a crazy world, I know people have many stresses in life, but I simply cannot ever understand cruelty to animals, period.

Unbelievable story not for the faint of heart

wendybeth 10-20-2008 12:38 PM

What's really sickening is that the perp will get next to nothing if convicted of animal cruelty. Disgusting. Poor puppy.:(

Kevy Baby 10-20-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 247113)
this is sickening. :(

I hope Bobo does survive. It's a crazy world, I know people have many stresses in life, but I simply cannot ever understand cruelty to animals, period.

Unbelievable story not for the faint of heart

I did not, and will not, click on the link. I just cannot read about animal cruelty. I can't watch even the commercials on Animal Planet for "Animal Cops." Even KNOWING that the story exists turns my stomach.

Something about this topic just triggers something inside.

Morrigoon 10-20-2008 02:10 PM

I had the same reaction, Kevy. The moment someone said puppy my heart lurched.

alphabassettgrrl 10-20-2008 03:39 PM

Some people have apparently just got something *wrong* with them. You don't hurt an animal. You just don't.

SzczerbiakManiac 10-20-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 247113)
I simply cannot ever understand cruelty to animals, period.

Thank you for the warning. I will not be clicking on that link. Animal cruelty and/or pain disturbs me on a level that is too much to bear.

Capt Jack 10-20-2008 04:07 PM

a good choice. its not a happy joy joy story.

alphabassettgrrl 10-20-2008 06:51 PM

At least now he'll be taken care of and loved.

Moonliner 10-21-2008 12:41 PM

Pro-Life' Pharmacy Declines to Stock Contraceptives

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTF
CHANTILLY, Va. - A new pharmacy in northern Virginia that refuses to provide any contraceptives has received the blessing of the Catholic Church.
Bishop Paul S. Loverde, the head of the Diocese of Arlington, came to Divine Mercy Care Pharmacy on Tuesday. About 75 people crowded into the small storefront as Loverde sprinkled holy water and gave his blessings.

The pharmacy opened this week in a Chantilly strip mall. The founders say there are only a handful of others like it in the country.

JWBear 10-21-2008 12:56 PM

The more I think about it the more I start to like the idea of moving all the religious right extremists into the deep south, and then building a huge wall around them. They'll either form their own theocratic dictatership, or kill each other off. Either way, not our problem anymore.

Disneyphile 10-21-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 247445)
Pro-Life' Pharmacy Declines to Stock Contraceptives

I wonder if that goes for condoms too, since ya know, every sperm is sacred... :rolleyes:

Yet, BCPs are also prescribed to women to regulate periods, etc. Oh, such blasphemy! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 247456)
The more I think about it the more I start to like the idea of moving all the religious right extremists into the deep south, and then building a huge wall around them. They'll either form their own theocratic dictatership, or kill each other off. Either way, not our problem anymore.

I would totally support that! :snap:

Yes, I really wish they'd partition themselves off. But, I'd still want to be able to watch them fight over "my Jesus is better than your Jesus" between the different sects.

Kevy Baby 10-21-2008 01:46 PM

Because I need something besides stories that keep pissing me off:

'Dinosaur dance floor' unearthed in Arizona
Multitude of beastly tracks likely belonged to at least four different species

Quote:

More than 1,000 dinosaur footprints along with tail-drag marks have been discovered along the Arizona-Utah border. The incredibly rare concentration of beastly tracks likely belonged to at least four different species of dinosaurs, ranging from youngsters to adults.
The whole story

Datsa a bigga print:

JWBear 10-21-2008 01:58 PM

I just noticed that I spelled "dictatorship" wrong in my above post. It just glares out at me.... It makes my cheese sad. :(

Tom 10-21-2008 03:11 PM

I just assumed you were speaking of an authoritarian government for potatoes.

LSPoorEeyorick 10-21-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 247467)
I wonder if that goes for condoms too, since ya know, every sperm is sacred... :rolleyes:

I don't mind if the couples believe that for themselves, and choose to do what they believe is right within their sexual relationship. My problem is when they force that belief on other people.

They sprinkled holy water on the pharmacy? Can I just say that this pope makes me want to gag?

CoasterMatt 10-21-2008 03:45 PM

Holy water makes the best gin and tonics. :cool:

Snowflake 10-21-2008 03:46 PM

JW Bear said
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I really wish they'd partition themselves off. But, I'd still want to be able to watch them fight over "my Jesus is better than your Jesus" between the different sects.

Pity they lost the civil war then, eh?

But where would this put our dear BDBopper?

Disneyphile 10-21-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflake (Post 247539)
But where would this put our dear BDBopper?

He's totally not extremist. We'll move him to California. ;)

JWBear 10-21-2008 05:16 PM

I just thought... What do we do with Utah?

Cadaverous Pallor 10-21-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 247456)

Quote:

I would totally support that! :snap:

I know you guys will say you are kidding, but as my great-grandparents spent their time in the shtetl ostracized from "normal" society, I don't find this joke funny in the least. In fact, it think it's pretty offensive to anyone who values freedom and diversity.

SzczerbiakManiac 10-21-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 247566)
I just thought... What do we do with Utah?

Can we just cut it out like a jigsaw piece and drop it off the coast of Florida?

CoasterMatt 10-21-2008 09:42 PM

Hey! Lagoon is in Utah, and so is S&S Power...

And some really cool person from the LoT, too.

DreadPirateRoberts 10-22-2008 12:26 PM

http://www.peta.org/Sea_Kittens/index.asp#

discuss

JWBear 10-22-2008 12:53 PM

WTF?

DreadPirateRoberts 10-22-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 247798)
WTF?

hence it's inclusion in this thread. I'm trying to decide between loopy, or sheer genius.

Ghoulish Delight 10-22-2008 01:41 PM

6th man on the moon claims aliens have visited earth and the government's been covering it up.

mousepod 10-22-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 247816)
6th man on the moon claims aliens have visited earth and the government's been covering it up.

How is that possible? I thought the moon walks were all faked.

Kevy Baby 10-22-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreadPirateRoberts (Post 247792)

I won't click on anything PETA

Kevy Baby 10-22-2008 09:07 PM

Miss Louisiana Teen USA loses crown after pot bust
Lindsey Evans skipped restaurant tab; marijuana was found in her purse

Quote:

Reigning Miss Louisiana Teen USA Lindsey Evans has been stripped of her crown after being arrested for marijuana possession and skipping out on a restaurant tab.
The stoned story.

A couple of pictures

Moonliner 10-23-2008 07:54 AM

Meet the latest portable X-Ray machine...

Quote:

Originally Posted by News
Just two weeks after a Nobel Prize highlighted theoretical work on subatomic particles, physicists are announcing a startling discovery about a much more familiar form of matter: Scotch tape. It turns out that if you peel the popular adhesive tape off its roll in a vacuum chamber, it emits X-rays. The researchers even made an X-ray image of one of their fingers.

Booyah! Take that duct tape.

Cadaverous Pallor 10-23-2008 08:00 AM

That is so freakin' cool.

Tom 10-23-2008 08:05 AM

So let me be the first to ask: why were they peeling off scotch tape in a vacuum chamber? And what made them think to measure x-rays while doing it?

Cadaverous Pallor 10-23-2008 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 248022)
So let me be the first to ask: why were they peeling off scotch tape in a vacuum chamber? And what made them think to measure x-rays while doing it?

In the story they say that 50 years ago Russian scientists got similar result. But why they were doing it is a mystery ;)

Actually, the concept that electrons jump around when you pull the adhesive from the roll does make sense. If you're thinking about electron changes all day I guess you'd look at a roll of tape differently.

bewitched 10-23-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 248022)

If I had a vacuum chamber laying around I could totally see myself going, hmmmm...lets put *this* in there and see what happens. Kinda like sticking various items in a microwave. Not that I'd know anything about that. :D

Kevy Baby 10-23-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 248030)
Kinda like sticking various items in a microwave. Not that I'd know anything about that. :D

I do the same thing. For example, I was curious if the rumour about putting a poodle in a microwave to dry had any validity to it. Let's just say that I don't suggest trying it yourself - it really pissed off the poodle.

Morrigoon 10-23-2008 10:17 AM

Remind me to bring bananas to the next black-lit party: http://www.livescience.com/strangene...e-bananas.html

Morrigoon 10-23-2008 10:20 AM

Scotch tape emits x-rays... WHO STUDIES THIS STUFF?

Cadaverous Pallor 10-23-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 248054)

Another instance of "read before posting" :)

Kevy Baby 10-23-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadaverous Pallor (Post 248087)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 248054)

Another instance of "read before posting" :)

In case you don't what she is talking about, from a few posts above

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 248018)
Meet the latest portable X-Ray machine...

Booyah! Take that duct tape.

Moonliner 10-23-2008 12:20 PM

Yup, the one good thing about being on the East Coast. We get our news three hours before you. :D

Moonliner 10-23-2008 04:36 PM

Woman arrested for killing virtual husband.

Quote:

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

Capt Jack 10-23-2008 04:58 PM

wow............probably better that she DOESNT have a life.

Kevy Baby 10-23-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 248190)
Woman arrested for killing virtual husband.

THAT is the best article EVER!!!

Ghoulish Delight 10-23-2008 04:59 PM

Swedish hockey game delayed by sex-toy shower

And yes, there's video (the best, and most NSFW, bit is at about 4:45 in).

Kevy Baby 10-23-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 248196)
Swedish hockey game delayed by sex-toy shower

And yes, there's video (the best, and most NSFW, bit is at about 4:45 in).

In the comments section below the video was this remark (unedited):

Quote:

They are making fun of an player in oposite team that lost an mobile phone whit film of him self playing whit an dildo...

AIK fans reputation is not so directly gay, more abbout violence especialy in ther Fotball section.

RStar 10-24-2008 06:26 AM

Perhaps english is not his first language?

Or spelling is his worst subject in school......

SzczerbiakManiac 10-24-2008 11:31 AM

WTF is this beverage?
And why am I strangely excited about drinking it....

Ghoulish Delight 10-24-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 248324)
WTF is this beverage?
And why am I strangely excited about drinking it....

I wonder if that's bottled by Faygo.

Capt Jack 10-24-2008 11:42 AM

what the 773H????????
"wrong on soo many levels" just doesnt seem sufficient

Moonliner 10-24-2008 11:45 AM

If they have it on draft, that would have to be one hell of a tap.

JWBear 10-24-2008 11:57 AM

Is it an alchoholic drink? If so, maybe it's a warning to women of what will happen if they drink too much...

Moonliner 10-24-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 248334)
maybe it's a warning to women of what will happen if they drink too much...

If that is the case, then it truly is an evil product.

SzczerbiakManiac 10-24-2008 12:29 PM

After a little more research, I found a short YouTube clip and this page on the English version of the manufacturer's web site featuring this tadpolian logo:

Sadly, www.popsy.de is all German.

Moonliner 10-24-2008 12:35 PM

From the site:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhhh
Popsy is worldwide the first liquor bottle in an extravagant unique design.

The content of this cheeky container is cream liqueur with finest aromas as natural vanilla and a shot of toffee. Basis forms our own made vodka distilled after our old traditional method exclusively from wheat and malt.

Check and insure yourself that Popsy will be the smash on your party and never out of fashion!

We recommend enjoying Popsy always lightly chilled

I wonder if it's too late to get some delivered to SoCal for a celebration party if when Prop-8 Fails.

Betty 10-24-2008 01:35 PM

It's the cheeky cream liquor with a spermy lable that says "I'm coming".

This would be a great gag gift for a bachlorette party!

Kevy Baby 10-27-2008 12:36 PM

Can't the South just let this go already?

Civil War-style CSI: Who shot the re-enactor?
Man portraying Union soldier injured; Confederate actor to blame?

Quote:

RICHMOND, Va. - In the passionate world of Civil War re-enactors, authenticity is everything — from uniforms with historically correct stitching to hardtack made from scratch.

A battle re-enactment last month pushed realism to the limits: A retired New York City police officer portraying a Union soldier for a documentary film was shot in the shoulder, possibly by a Confederate re-enactor.
The whole shebang.

alphabassettgrrl 10-27-2008 06:46 PM

Oops.

Moonliner 10-28-2008 03:59 AM

Town spends $250,000 on Prostitution.

Quote:

Officials have installed four Advanced Surveillance and Protection, or ASAP, cameras on major thoroughfares throughout the city in hopes of deterring criminals.

"We have had problems for a long time, and the businesses and residents that reside in that area said, `you know, we need to do something about it,"' Lynwood Mayor Maria Santillan said.

The surveillance cameras are currently being monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"Don't come to Lynwood if you're looking for a prostitute, they're aren't going to be any around," Sheriff Lee Baca said during a news conference Saturday.

That seems like a lot of money just to watch.

Kevy Baby 10-28-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 248955)
That [$250,000] seems like a lot of money just to watch.

I agree, what with all the free porn one can find on the internet.

Betty 10-28-2008 10:15 AM

and $250,000 will buy an awful lot of free porn.

JWBear 10-28-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 249024)
and $250,000 will buy an awful lot of free porn.

It will buy a lot of non-free porn!

scaeagles 10-28-2008 12:57 PM

There's free porn on the internet?

Strangler Lewis 10-28-2008 12:58 PM

That's an urban myth.

Betty 10-28-2008 01:25 PM

No really. It's true. You just have to know where to look. :evil: Not that I would know or anything.

Disneyphile 10-28-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaeagles (Post 249088)

www.xtube.com

and

www.pornhub.com

Don't ask how I knew about those. ;)

Kevy Baby 10-28-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scaeagles (Post 249088)

I prefer pix over movies. Or, er um, I WOULD prefer pix over movies if I were into that sort of filth.

IF I were into porn, I MIGHT try using Google Search, using the Image option and making sure that the Safe Search option was turned off. I would guess that just about any search word one threw in would provide results*.

Not that I condone that kind of abhorrent behavior.

* Testing this (previously untried) theory, I came across this site. In case it isn't obvious from the rest of this post, this link is NSFW.

Ghoulish Delight 10-28-2008 03:37 PM

Mmmm, mmmm, diaper chorrizo

Quote:

Customs inspectors scored the makings of a barbecue when a 21-year-old South Texas woman declared several soiled baby diapers at a U.S.-Mexico border crossing in McAllen.
Suspicious of the chunky diapers, inspectors with U.S. Customs and Border Protection at the international bridge in Hidalgo found several links of spicy pork sausage, or chorizo, inside.
The diapers had been folded to look soiled, according to a customs agency statement.
The Mission resident, who was not identified after the Friday night incident, was fined $300 and her chorizo was seized.

Snowflake 10-28-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 249179)

[/size]

Well, for goodness sake, can't you get chorizo in South Texas? Why on earth would you need to smuggle it in, it's not like chorizo is bacon.

Kevy Baby 10-28-2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Too good to let not get quoted.

Betty 10-29-2008 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 249131)
www.xtube.com

and

www.pornhub.com

Don't ask how I knew about those. ;)

Don't forget Youporn.com

Although after awhile, it all seems to repeat. Or so I've been told.

bewitched 10-29-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

[/size]

That's just wrong.

Morrigoon 10-29-2008 12:07 PM

Newsweek article about Darfur

CoasterMatt 10-29-2008 08:50 PM

High School Musical 3: Sexual Education
Quote:

SOUTH JORDAN — Some Utahns attending the weekend opening of Disney's biggest movie of the year were exposed to a little more than they were expecting.

Friday night, managers at the Megaplex Theatre at the District, 11400 South Bangerter Highway, switched one of the showings of "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" to a larger auditorium to accommodate more people. They forgot, however, to switch the movie that had previously been scheduled for the room.

So rather than the family-friendly, G-rated "High School Musical 3," the beginning of the very nonfamily-friendly R-rated "Sex Drive" came on the screen. The opening minutes of the movie include nudity.

alphabassettgrrl 10-29-2008 09:27 PM

Hahhahaha!!!! OOps.

innerSpaceman 10-29-2008 09:29 PM

I wonder how long it took them to realize it wasn't HSM3? I mean, why would this one be in theaters intead of cable if it wasn't going to be just a wee bit more risque?? ;)

CoasterMatt 10-29-2008 09:34 PM

My favorite quote from that article-
Quote:

"I could not carry my little children out before they were exposed to extremely vulgar and sexually explicit material," one parent complained in an e-mail to the Deseret News.
I get the distinct image in my head of a scene from the movie "Tombstone", when the cowboys come riding at full gallup through the town, and a woman picks up her child and runs out of the way.

CoasterMatt 10-29-2008 10:01 PM

Hilarious!

Quote:

An Audi TT with British registration plates has been repeatedly caught speeding on roads in the Bavarian city of Bayreuth. But because continental speed cameras are set up for left-hand drive vehicles, the cameras keep missing the driver’s face.

Instead, they keep capturing clear views of a manic Muppet-like toy which the cheeky Brit has propped up on his passenger seat.

“But because this is a British vehicle we can never get a decent picture. The driver has obviously worked this out because he has placed a large puppet in the passenger seat.
Link

Not Afraid 10-29-2008 10:06 PM

Why is sex vulgar again? I keep forgetting.

Kevy Baby 10-29-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Afraid (Post 249678)

Cuz I'm not getting enough of it.

JWBear 10-29-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Afraid (Post 249678)

'Cause Baby Jesus cries every time you have an orgasm.

Disneyphile 10-30-2008 12:07 AM

Sounds more like real high school life to me! ;)

Stan4dSteph 10-30-2008 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 249677)
Hilarious!

Link

Animal's being naughty.

Kevy Baby 10-30-2008 05:05 PM

Faulty Qantas jet tails rival across Pacific Ocean
Airliner follows Air New Zealand flight after weather radar malfunctions

Quote:

CANBERRA, Australia - A Qantas airliner that discovered its weather radar was faulty tailed an Air New Zealand jet across the Pacific on a Wednesday flight from Los Angeles to Sydney, an official said.

The Air New Zealand flight crew provided information about the weather ahead to the Qantas Boeing 747-400 jumbo jet carrying 284 passengers as the two aircraft made the 12-hour journey to Auckland in New Zealand, a Qantas spokeswoman said on condition of anonymity, citing company policy. The Qantas flight later continued on to Sydney, its scheduled destination.
The Whole Story.

Mind if I hitch a ride?

Betty 10-31-2008 06:13 AM

You ever get the feeling you're being followed?

Moonliner 10-31-2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 249965)
You ever get the feeling you're being followed?

I used to feel that way, so I decided to become a stalker. That solved the problem for me.

Moonliner 10-31-2008 09:16 AM

Joe the Plumber hires a publicist.

Joe better cash in as quickly as possible, because I'm thinking after Tuesday demand might just drop off a bit...

Kevy Baby 10-31-2008 10:27 AM

Bowler dies moments after first perfect game
62-year-old Michigan man collapses as he's congratulated by teammates

Quote:

RAVENNA, Mich. - A Michigan man who bowled his first perfect game immediately collapsed in the bowling alley and died.
The story

"My life is complete. I think I shall die now."

CoasterMatt 10-31-2008 10:53 AM

OMG - I was posting that at the same time as you, Kevy.

Jinx :p

Gn2Dlnd 11-01-2008 10:57 AM

Couple charged with stealing steaks, chicken wings

Quote:

A man and woman have been charged with using a steak knife to make threats when stealing 20 steaks and a bag of chicken wings from a Buffalo supermarket Wednesday afternoon.

The officers recovered the steaks inside a washing machine and the chicken wings inside Smith's purse.
These is my kinds of people! "Honey, the warshin' machine is almost out of steak, couldja run down to the Save-A-Buck and grab a couple? Oh, and leave your purse here. Nom nom nom."

Kevy Baby 11-03-2008 11:46 PM

Outrage over 'chastity belt' lingerie fitted with GPS tracking system

Quote:

Feminists around the world have reacted with horror to a new line of lingerie that comes equipped with a GPS tracking system.

The 'find me if you can' range of underwear has been described as a modern-day, high-tech chastity belt.
The whole story (semi-NSFW as it does show a girl in lingerie)

I really don't understand what the purpose of this would be, but it is an amusing topic.

alphabassettgrrl 11-04-2008 12:19 AM

I find the discussion part most amusing.

CoasterMatt 11-04-2008 01:03 AM

Screw that, I want GPS enabled car/house keys :)

bewitched 11-04-2008 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 250003)

Joe better cash in as quickly as possible, because I'm thinking after Tuesday demand might just drop off a bit...

Please God, just kill me now (and keep away the nutbars who will actually shell out $20 for his book). :rolleyes:

JWBear 11-04-2008 01:56 PM

When officials asked for the Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed.

Kevy Baby 11-05-2008 12:11 PM

Runaway teen compacted by recycling truck
Boy's escape bid from boot camp ends in Wis. hospital after ordeal

Actually, I prefer the headline that showed in my news banner:
"Teen Survives Recycling Truck Compacting:

Quote:

MILWAUKEE - A teenage boy has survived after being accidentally dumped into the back of a recycling truck and compacted, police said.

Police in Milwaukee said the 14-year-old ran away from a boot camp-style school for teens Monday and hid in a recycling bin filled with cardboard.
The rest of the story.

Capt Jack 11-05-2008 12:57 PM

ok, thats just hilarious

cirquelover 11-05-2008 04:34 PM

JW that was one they'll never live down! I find it funny as heck but I'm sure the townspeople don't!!

CoasterMatt 11-05-2008 05:38 PM

They chose Bacon over Fries

Moonliner 11-06-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 250003)

Whew! I can now sleep better at night. Our friend Joe the Plumber is going to flush out corruption among our elected officials. The same Joe who is an unlicensed plumber and does not pay his taxes. Really. You can't make this s*it up. A "Freedom" membership on his website is only $14.95/yr and comes with one free plunging.

(ok, I made that last little bit up)

Morrigoon 11-06-2008 03:58 PM

13-year old girl gets raped by 3 men, so she gets STONED TO DEATH for adultery
http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11...th-in-somalia/

SzczerbiakManiac 11-06-2008 04:13 PM

And people rebuke me when I say Islam is the most fücked-up religion on Earth.

bewitched 11-06-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 251643)
And people rebuke me when I say Islam is the most fücked-up religion on Earth.

I dunno, radical religiosos of all ilks are pretty fvcked up IMO.

JWBear 11-06-2008 04:17 PM

Islam didn't do this, fvcked up people did this. Islam, like any religion, can be perverted by sick, hatefull people.

Prudence 11-06-2008 04:31 PM

I was just headed here to post the same link, only in a different thread.

What I don't get is that other people watched. 1,000 people watched this happen. Were they forced to go? Or did they just have a sick fascination with watching someone else be killed? I just don't have any words for a culture that considers the public, drawn-out execution of a child victim of a brutal attack to be a spectator sport.

SzczerbiakManiac 11-06-2008 04:32 PM

Show me please, any Muslim official that condemns this act. Just one will suffice.

Morrigoon 11-06-2008 04:41 PM

Nevermind that the child was 13 and shouldn't have been married in the first place.

Betty 11-06-2008 05:39 PM

And not a thing was done to the men that were accused - per the article. One has to wonder - nothing? As in - they didn't even ask them about it or consider they might be a danger to other people?

CoasterMatt 11-06-2008 10:11 PM

Here's a contender for best headline of the year-
Swedish hockey fans delay match with dildo downpour

Quote:

Supporters of the Stockholm-based AIK ice hockey team scored an unusual hat trick of heckling on Tuesday night featuring dildos, profane banners, and a giant inflatable penis.
Full (NSFW) Story here

Kevy Baby 11-06-2008 11:50 PM

I believe that somewhere (possibly in this thread), there was a similar story posted here on LoT. It was a different incident, but I am fairly certain that it was directed at the same person.

Poor guy

blueerica 11-08-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

FLAGSTAFF, Arizona (AP) -- It's a crime that police officers in a small eastern Arizona community can hardly fathom yet have to deal with: an 8-year-old charged in the fatal shootings of his father and another man.
and

Quote:

On Friday, a judge determined there was probable cause to show that the boy fatally shot his father, Vincent Romero, 29, and Timothy Romans, 39, of San Carlos with a .22-caliber rifle. The boy faces two counts of premeditated murder.
Story here.

Kevy Baby 11-10-2008 10:47 AM

Okay, I know this is a serious story. But the headline has me rather discombobulated

Monks brawl at Christian holy site in Jerusalem
Israeli police cuff men next to Jesus' tomb in Church of the Holy Sepulcher

Quote:

JERUSALEM - Israeli police rushed into one of Christianity's holiest churches Sunday and arrested two clergymen after an argument between monks erupted into a brawl next to the site of Jesus' tomb.
The Holy story.

cirquelover 11-11-2008 06:56 PM

Husbands coffin kills widow; http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27666284/?gt1=43001

Kevy Baby 11-11-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirquelover (Post 252692)

Yeah. I know somebody died, but damn that is really funny!

bewitched 11-12-2008 03:28 AM

Monkey at Israeli Zoo Walks on Two Legs After Severe Illness

Quote:

A young monkey at an Israeli zoo has started walking like a human following a near death experience, the zoo's veterinarian said Wednesday.

Betty 11-12-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirquelover (Post 252692)

I wonder if he did it out of spite? ;)

Betty 11-12-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 252766)

Evolution in action?

bewitched 11-12-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 252771)
Evolution in action?

Or maybe we're just all brain damaged monkeys. :p

bewitched 11-12-2008 08:43 AM

Naked Japanese major nabbed with women's underwear

Quote:

He thought it would be funny if he went into the store stark naked, that it would surprise people.

I wonder why he decided to leave his shoes on.

CoasterMatt 11-12-2008 10:36 AM

Here's a horrifying headline-

Penis Surgery **** Up

Quote:

A TERRITORIAN says he could have died after an operation on his penis left him bleeding heavily.

Michael Eglington, 53, said he collapsed from blood loss as he rushed back to Royal Darwin Hospital less than an hour after being discharged.
Thankfully, the article (which has a pretty gruesome description) doesn't have any photos of the injury.

But they do have a photo of the guy, with a caption "not happy"

Kevy Baby 11-12-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 252830)

Penis Surgery **** Up

Thankfully, the article (which has a pretty gruesome description) doesn't have any photos of the injury.

Quote:

He said he looked down to see that he was sitting in "an inch of blood" in the chair. He used a nappy to soak up the blood as he drove back to hospital where he collapsed against the emergency counter.
Man, if I had a nickle for every time this happened to me...

Morrigoon 11-12-2008 03:02 PM

Haha... the irony of it being the Royal Darwin Hospital

Kevy Baby 11-12-2008 05:09 PM

Fleeing cops? Don't give them your ID first
Driver charged after handing over license at checkpoint and speeding away

Quote:

PORTSMOUTH, N.H. - It perhaps wasn't the most well thought out escape

Police say a man handed over his license and registration at a sobriety checkpoint during the weekend, then peeled out and sped away, almost hitting an officer.
DOH!

Ghoulish Delight 11-12-2008 05:51 PM

New golf club improves flow of the game - it's a urinal

Ummmmmm, no, I'll hold it thanks.

bewitched 11-12-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 252830)

Penis Surgery **** Up

I wouldn't be happy either if the whole world now knew I had genital warts.

Kevy Baby 11-12-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 252967)
I wouldn't be happy either if the whole world now knew I had genital warts.

Do you?

bewitched 11-12-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 252987)
Do you?

Thankfully, no.

Nor, thankfully, do I have a penis...a grossly mishandled one at that. :D

Kevy Baby 11-12-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 253036)
Thankfully, no.

I don't know if you can be trusted. I think we will need photographic evidence.

bewitched 11-13-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 253038)
I don't know if you can be trusted. I think we will need photographic evidence.

Spoiler:

Deebs 11-13-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

You must spread some Mojo around before giving it to bewitched again.

I just knew it was gonna be the gas mask-vagina clown before I opened the spoiler!

Capt Jack 11-13-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 253127)
Spoiler:

I actually ended up reading THIS thread before the original vagi-clown pic.

here I was thinkin "wow, this bewitched chic is just a little off center (if you catch my drift)"

turns out it was Kevy.
seems almost normal now.

:p

Moonliner 11-13-2008 09:35 AM

I want to party like and Aussie!

Quote:

CANBERRA (Reuters) - An Australian holiday resort will hold a month-long, nude "anything goes" party to combat an expected economic downturn, media reports said on Thursday.

bewitched 11-13-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 253147)
I actually ended up reading THIS thread before the original vagi-clown pic.

here I was thinkin "wow, this bewitched chic is just a little off center (if you catch my drift)"

turns out it was Kevy.
seems almost normal now.

:p

I'm all class, baby! :p

Ghoulish Delight 11-13-2008 09:36 AM

Checking expedia......now.

bewitched 11-13-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 253149)
I want to party like and Aussie!

Is it just me or are the phrasing and location suggestive? :p

Quote:

"Tough economic times call for stiff measures," Tony Fox, the owner of the White Cockatoo resort in Mossman, in tropical Queensland state, told the Courier-Mail newspaper.

Moonliner 11-13-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 253154)

The White Cockatoo is a bird. Get your mind out of the gutter.

Ghoulish Delight 11-13-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 253154)

Goodness, I can't imagine a man planning a hedonist orgy retreat EVER saying anything that can be construed as sexual.

bewitched 11-13-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 253157)
Goodness, I can't imagine a man planning a hedonist orgy retreat EVER saying anything that can be construed as sexual.

That's kinda what I thought.

Capt Jack 11-13-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 253150)
I'm all class, baby! :p

there was never a flicker of doubt in my mind :snap:

SzczerbiakManiac 11-13-2008 12:37 PM

I wasn't sure if this post fit better in this thread or in the Vent thread. Feel free to move if appropriate.

We (the help desk I work at) just received this e-mail request:
Quote:

Would someone please take a look at our Conference Rooms A and B Windows Media QuickTime.
Is that like Microsoft Apple computer?
Or the Ford Cadillac car?
Or the Coca Pepsi Cola beverage?
Or Sacramento, New York?

or Hollywood, Florida? ;)

Moonliner 11-13-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 253246)
I wasn't sure if this post fit better in this thread or in the Vent thread. Feel free to move if appropriate.

We (the help desk I work at) just received this e-mail request:Is that like Microsoft Apple computer?
Or the Ford Cadillac car?
Or the Coca Pepsi Cola beverage?
Or Sacramento, New York?

or Hollywood, Florida? ;)

Please, if we are going to have admins running around putting posts where they actually belong..... We better hire some full time admins.

Oh, I guess that's a rant also. If you move Sczc's you can move this along with it.

Cadaverous Pallor 11-13-2008 01:50 PM

Maybe they wanted you to look at Windows Media in "QuickTime", as in "Double Time, Look Sharp!" ;)

JWBear 11-13-2008 03:15 PM

Quick Time HARCH! (I love quick time harch...)

Kevy Baby 11-13-2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 253340)
Quick Time HARCH! (I love quick time harch...)

Public Madeline Kahn Mojo (since I can't give the regular kind)

Betty 11-14-2008 08:18 AM

Yes - that's Bush in there.

Alex 11-14-2008 08:31 AM

While it is funny that Bush is showing the shocker, it is even funnier if (as I just read elsewhere) that is the official hand gesture of Arizona State University (it is supposed to be the pitchfork of their mascot sun devil).

Just proves that Arizonianers are all perverts.

Betty 11-14-2008 08:56 AM

I have learned many things from that photo and the resulting research about it. It sure doesn't look like a pitchfork though.

Kevy Baby 11-14-2008 09:05 AM

What am I missing?

Betty 11-14-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 253527)
What am I missing?

How long do you have?

Cadaverous Pallor 11-14-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 253527)
What am I missing?

Don't tell me you don't know about the shocker!

Betty 11-14-2008 09:36 AM

Kevy Baby 11-14-2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadaverous Pallor (Post 253548)
Don't tell me you don't know about the shocker!

I did not (honestly). I lead such a sheltered, pure existence that I normally do not encounter such filth.

What is the genesis of that? Was it featured on a show or movie? Or is it just "one of those things?"

Alex 11-14-2008 11:18 AM

I would like to research the origins, but I am not about do so from work.

If you haven't encountered it yet, add to your searches the phrase "two in the pink, one in the stink" or "two for you, one for poo."

Obviously not the origin (I don't think) but the gesture gained some additional notoriety a few years ago when it was discovered that a high school yearbook committee had peppered that years edition with photos of people making the gesture. There was somehow outrage when it was explained to the adults in the area.

Kevy Baby 11-14-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 253602)
I would like to research the origins, but I am not about do so from work.

If you haven't encountered it yet, add to your searches the phrase "two in the pink, one in the stink" or "two for you, one for poo."

Obviously not the origin (I don't think) but the gesture gained some additional notoriety a few years ago when it was discovered that a high school yearbook committee had peppered that years edition with photos of people making the gesture. There was somehow outrage when it was explained to the adults in the area.

I had heard the first phrase you mention, but I otherwise feel so unenlightened!

CoasterMatt 11-14-2008 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a Disneyfied variant...

CoasterMatt 11-14-2008 06:31 PM

Peaches also did a song - "Rock The Shocker"

Moonliner 11-14-2008 06:39 PM

Huh. I never thought to give it a name. Oh well you learn something new every day.

I wonder what they call.....

Disneyphile 11-14-2008 06:51 PM

I personally call it the "Don't you ****ing dare."

bewitched 11-16-2008 06:21 AM

Add me to the apparently sheltered-- and I can see why Alex wasn't going to Google it at work.

To clarify:

Apparently "the shocker" has the middle and ring finger together...not to be confused with the ASU "pitchfork" (which has the middle and index finger separated, like a "peace" sign).

I can just hear the WH photog...

"Okay, everyone spread your middle and index finger far apart..."

Ghoulish Delight 11-18-2008 04:14 PM

Inmate escapes German jail in box
A manhunt is under way in western Germany for a convicted drug dealer who escaped by mailing himself out of jail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7730018.stm

Quote:

The 42-year-old Turkish citizen - who was serving a seven-year sentence - had been making stationery with other prisoners destined for the shops.
At the end of his shift, the inmate climbed into a cardboard box and was taken out of prison by express courier. His whereabouts are still unknown.

Alex 11-18-2008 04:27 PM

It's is always too late when you realize you forgot to write down the tracking number.

Betty 11-20-2008 12:19 PM

Wash your hands! and cook your meat! :eek:

RStar 11-20-2008 02:19 PM

Egads, Betty! That's gross!

Morrigoon 11-20-2008 02:36 PM

ewww!

bewitched 11-20-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 254771)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RStar (Post 254791)
Egads, Betty! That's gross!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 254794)
ewww!

I really don't wanna look...but I'm not sure I can help myself. :rolleyes:

Bornieo: Fully Loaded 11-20-2008 07:24 PM

Man Caught with Penis in Pasta Jar

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...r/1363831.aspx

Best quote of the story...

Quote:

A search of his car uncovered pornography, a home-made sex aid, women's stockings and a Jack Russell terrier.

SzczerbiakManiac 11-24-2008 01:27 PM

I nominate this as the most what-the-fückiest thing I have ever seen (probably NSFW)
Natural Harvest - A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes

Moonliner 11-24-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 255326)
I nominate this as the most what-the-fückiest thing I have ever seen (probably NSFW)

Probably not safe for work? Where in the hell do you work? With Kevy?

CoasterMatt 11-24-2008 01:38 PM

I'm not even gonna click that link.

innerSpaceman 11-24-2008 01:41 PM

So, considering that a challenge ... i clicked, and it's completely safe for work. No images, just um, text, about the bizarre subject matter (and yes coming from someone who occassionally has the opportunity to .... well, ya know :p )

innerSpaceman 11-24-2008 01:42 PM

So, considering that a challenge ... i clicked, and it's completely safe for work. No images, just um, text, about the bizarre subject matter (and yes, that judgment coming from someone who occassionally has the opportunity to .... well, ya know ;) )

JWBear 11-24-2008 01:44 PM

Whoa... deja vous.

Strangler Lewis 11-24-2008 01:45 PM

Loved the comments. I wonder if there are any placenta recipes there.

I'm kicking around a dystopic reality sci-fi story where the twist is that semen burns better than oil--resulting in immediate redeployment of our armed forces from the middle east.

Betty 11-24-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

I'm cringing and laughing at the same time. The comments are priceless though. However, my lunch is now done. Rather lost my appetite.

Let's me honest here - it's not exactly the most appealing tasting substance under "fresh" conditions - let alone collected. Therefore, I'm very sincerely hoping that's a joke and not serious.

If it IS serious, who here is man enough to give a recipe a test just to brag that they did?

Kevy Baby 11-24-2008 03:02 PM

iPhone Owner Sues McDonald's for Leaking Wife's Nude Photos
Quote:

An Arkansas man on Friday filed a lawsuit against McDonald's, alleging a restaurant location uploaded nude photos of his wife onto a web site.

In the suit, Phillip Sherman said he left his phone at a McDonald's location in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and that a manager promised the phone was secured for him to retrieve it. After picking up his iPhone, photos of Sherman's wife Tina Sherman made their way onto a web site -- along with her name, address and contact information, the suit claims.
s

CoasterMatt 11-24-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Here's a video to go along with that one.

(An ad for a Belgian sex ed info site)

Ghoulish Delight 11-24-2008 06:01 PM

File under "cruel and unusual":

Teens Sentenced to Manilow

Quote:

Fort Lupton Police recently caught members of a high school rock band and about a dozen or so others residents violating the town's noise ordinance. So as a form of punishment the town had them sit in a room for an hour and listen to everything from Barry Manilow to Barney the Purple Dinosaur.

Kevy Baby 11-24-2008 06:47 PM

Which is worse: listening to Manilow or Barney.

Personally, Barney is the biggest nightmare.

In watching the video, one of the songs was "Come Sail Away" as done on South Park. Probably not the best choice as the teens probably watch South Park.

I was wondering if the bailiff has to sit in the room while the music is being played. What did he (or she) do to deserve that punishment?

Morrigoon 11-24-2008 07:26 PM

a) the stereo's not big enough
b) there should be opera

innerSpaceman 11-24-2008 08:03 PM

If there's opera for punishment, it should be REPO.

Kevy Baby 11-24-2008 08:05 PM

I could think of lots of things to add.

How about making them listen to a recording of their parents having sex?

Ghoulish Delight 11-24-2008 10:17 PM

Teens have fast food delivered to scene of fatal crash

Quote:

A GROUP of teenagers involved in a crash that killed an 82-year-old man and left his 72-year-old partner fighting for her life had fast food delivered to them at the crash site, a witness says.
The elderly couple were in a van involved in a collision at a Gold Coast roundabout with an unregistered car allegedly driven by a disqualified teen driver on Saturday, the Gold Coast Bulletin reported.
Residents who lived near the roundabout in Miami said that as they rushed to help the couple, the five teenagers in the Subaru WRX got out and watched.
Resident Stephen Waymouth said the van was still rolling when he looked over his fence.
When he reached it he saw the man was unconscious and the woman was "wailing".

While residents comforted the distressed woman, the five teens stood motionless on the footpath, he said.

Mr Waymouth and another man, Fabian Atzori, said none of the youths attempted to help.

Mr Waymouth said he was "disgusted" by their behaviour.
"They just stood there, and then they sat down and then someone dropped Maccas off to them," he said.
"What is it with young people where they can just turn off to human injury?" said Mr Atzori.
I'm in utter shock and disbelief. Horrified, even.

Aussies call McDonalds "Maccas"? WTF!?!?!

Betty 11-25-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoasterMatt (Post 255362)
Here's a video to go along with that one.

(An ad for a Belgian sex ed info site)

LOL. Unexpected little twist at the end made me giggle.

Betty 11-25-2008 07:40 AM

So, what are your thoughts on mantyhose?

Alex 11-25-2008 07:50 AM

That it is a word as ugly as herstory.

Cadaverous Pallor 11-25-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 255446)

You know, I think I'm finally realizing that I have absolutely no issues with men wearing feminine stuff. I think some men can pull it off, be it pantyhose, eyeliner, a manbag that looks more like a purse...but then, I've already said I'm a fan of TheatreTech's look.

Now, I'm not saying it's for GD...;)

Kevy Baby 11-25-2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadaverous Pallor (Post 255449)
You know, I think I'm finally realizing that I have absolutely no issues with men wearing feminine stuff. I think some men can pull it off, be it pantyhose, eyeliner ...

Others; not so much

Spoiler:

Betty 11-25-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 255450)
Others; not so much

Spoiler:

LOL - see - your showing off your frilly but again!

Cute pic. :)

Snowflake 11-25-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 255450)
Others; not so much

Spoiler:

That is a freakin hilarious pic!

Capt Jack 11-25-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 255446)

in a word?

no

in more than one word?

never again :blush:

Betty 11-25-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 255468)
in a word?

no

in more than one word?

never again :blush:

Ooh. Inquiring minds want to know! :evil: :p

Alex 11-25-2008 10:10 AM

I'm not opposed to the idea of pantyhose. When I was running, I ran in just lycra running shorts which actually was very comfortable.

The problem with full leg tight covering like pantyhose, though, I can't think of how you'd put them on so that every single one of my leg hairs wouldn't end up being pushed in the wrong (and uncomfortable) position. I could shave my legs but can barely be bothered to shave my face regularly so that would be a losing battle.

But all style is inherently silly and arbitrary so if this caught on it wouldn't be any sillier than t-shirts.

Capt Jack 11-25-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 255471)
Ooh. Inquiring minds want to know! :evil: :p

lets go with

it was a costume and definitely NOT my idea...but rarely can I refuse the request of a beautiful woman. truly, moreso tights than "mantyhose", although I cant really imagine them being different

except mine didnt have the "comfort panel" sewn in so I made my own...so yes, not only hose, but crotchless to boot :rolleyes:

and before you ask, yes, there are pictures...and never shall eyes fall upon them again (even if I actually knew where they were)

Not Afraid 11-25-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 255482)
The problem with full leg tight covering like pantyhose, though, I can't think of how you'd put them on so that every single one of my leg hairs wouldn't end up being pushed in the wrong (and uncomfortable) position.

I now am hosting a mental picture of your hairy legs in hose and each and every one of the hairs are moaning and groaning because they are uncomfortable.

Thanks.

Alex 11-25-2008 12:38 PM

You're most welcome.

Capt Jack 11-25-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Afraid (Post 255517)
I now am hosting a mental picture of your hairy legs in hose and each and every one of the hairs are moaning and groaning because they are uncomfortable.

Thanks.

well, it sounds funny, but its accurate as 773H

Morrigoon 11-25-2008 02:06 PM

I don't get the need for a "comfort panel" Most pantyhose have a crotch halfway down to your knees anyway. The going joke is that a man must have invented them b/c no woman has a crotch that low.

SzczerbiakManiac 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

Seriously, who would wear this? Is its sole purpose in like to be a gag-gift?

Capt Jack 11-25-2008 03:20 PM

Ive known more than a few that would not only wear it but point to it and glare at you while waiting for their discount.

some of those oldsters are cheap, mean and downright belligerent about spending even a nickle more than they have to.

Betty 11-25-2008 06:10 PM

AND it "brings plenty of smiles from onlookers"! What more could you want from a hat?

Kevy Baby 11-26-2008 11:14 AM

Finally, urine recycler passes astronauts’ test
After days of tinkering, space station skipper reports success: ‘Yippee!’

The whole quote from the skipper was 'Yippee! Now we can peepee'

Quote:

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Astronauts aboard the orbiting shuttle-station complex got a double dose of good news Tuesday: A rotary joint that they spent days cleaning and lubricating appeared to be working normally again for the first time in more than a year, and a urine-recycling machine finally was behaving.
Story.

Had this fix not been successful, it would have been a real pisser.

Ghoulish Delight 11-26-2008 11:18 AM

Too bad they'll never get that tool bag back.

Kevy Baby 11-26-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 255752)
Too bad they'll never get that tool bag back.

Well, at least they know where it is.

Ghoulish Delight 11-26-2008 02:12 PM

Did you see the video? Not that there's much to it.

Betty 11-26-2008 02:33 PM

I did. A little light flying across the sky.

Disneyphile 11-26-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 255581)
Seriously, who would wear this? Is its sole purpose in like to be a gag-gift?

Sadly, my father would love that. Now I just might have to get it for him for Christmas.

JWBear 11-26-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 255751)
Finally, urine recycler passes astronauts’ test

The whole quote from the skipper was 'Yippee! Now we can peepee'

Story.

Had this fix not been successful, it would have been a real pisser.

Quote:

Saturday's spacewalk by Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper...
Wow! Now, that's a name!

Kevy Baby 11-26-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 255751)

I didn't catch this in the sub-head, but it could have read:
Quote:

After days of tinkeling, space station skipper reports success: ‘Yippee!’
My grandmother use to call going number two 'tinkeling'

Ghoulish Delight 11-26-2008 03:37 PM

How turkey farms prepare for the Thanksgiving Onslaught

Under the heading of, "Phrases the Do Not Need to be Hot Links":

"manually stimulated and "milked" for their semen"

Kevy Baby 11-26-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 255842)
Under the heading of, "Phrases that Do Not Need to be Hot Links":

"manually stimulated and "milked" for their semen"

Isn't that called "foreplay?"

Morrigoon 11-28-2008 11:26 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27808198...5773?GT1=31037

Girl lives over 100 days WITH NO HEART!

bewitched 11-29-2008 01:29 PM

For Sale: Miracle "Jesus Image" doggy door

The perfect Christmas gift for the Evangelical dog-owning friend in your life.

Quote:

I believe the dog door image to be superior to most naturally-occurring Jesus likenesses, commonly known as pareidolia, because of two factors: the face itself is more distinct than past images such as those found on toast, tortillas and x-rays, and because of the coincidence of finding the image on an item of the dogs at a moment I was contemplating getting rid of them. Hence it is far more defensible as an actual divine manifestation than a random occurrence with no underlying context.

CoasterMatt 11-29-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 256108)
Girl lives over 100 days WITH NO HEART!

That's no big deal, I dated a girl who lived at least 20 years with no heart.

CoasterMatt 11-30-2008 07:48 PM

This vicar knows how to get her kicks.

Quote:

SWINGING vicar Teresa Davies DEFROCKED herself in front of a couple, begged them for SEX under pictures of Jesus Christ and tried to seduce the husband by saying: “I’ll wear my dog collar!”

Ghoulish Delight 12-01-2008 10:18 AM

What a load of crap. Here's the tag I saw for what I thought was an awesome story:

Quote:

Iowa Wins Snow-Plow Arms Race With Laser Beams on Rigs Nov 30, 2008
There are only two words that can describe the genius of putting lasers on snow plows: Friggin' sweet.

What I pictured was an uber-awesome snow-melting machine with a matrix of lasers blasting snow out of its path.

The reality? It's a laser guidance system designed to prevent the snow plow from hitting things like mailboxes and signs and crap. And even worse, all it is is a fvckign laser pointer. It's not even a sophisticated laser system that can map the terrain and identify obstacles hidden in the snow. It's a bloody green laser pointer that puts a dot on the ground in front of the plow to show the dirver where their plow will go. How fvcking disappointing.

Moonliner 12-01-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 255826)
Sadly, my father would love that. Now I just might have to get it for him for Christmas.

But if you order the hat will they give you the senior discount ?

Capt Jack 12-01-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 256287)
For Sale: Miracle "Jesus Image" doggy door

The perfect Christmas gift for the Evangelical dog-owning friend in your life.

yeah.....not seein' it here

Lance 12-02-2008 10:11 AM

Beware of Booby Traps!

Kevy Baby 12-02-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 256796)

That's really not all that new: men have been getting trapped by breasts for millennia.

bewitched 12-02-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 256526)
yeah.....not seein' it here

Yet surely worth $1200 of your hard earned money...I mean, it's divine, for Christ's sake. :D

alphabassettgrrl 12-02-2008 11:59 AM

Hahhahaha-- how do the women with the choloroform on their boobs avoid going under themselves? The stuff rises, and they're closest to it...

SzczerbiakManiac 12-02-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 256820)
Yet surely worth $1200 of your hard earned money...I mean, it's divine, for Christ's sake. :D

I always thought this was Divine:

Betty 12-02-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 256858)
I always thought this was Divine:

Speaking of eyebrows!

CoasterMatt 12-02-2008 10:14 PM

More Than 130,000 Inflatable Breasts Lost at Sea en route to AUSTRALIA

Quote:

Men's magazine Ralph was planning to include the boobs as a free gift with its January issue.

The cargo is worth about $200,000, which is another blow for publisher ACP's parent company PBL, which is already in $4.3 billion of debt.

A spokeswoman for Ralph said the container left docks in Beijing two weeks ago but turned up empty in Sydney this week.

The magazine has put out an alert to shipping authorities to see if they have the container, but if they don't turn up in the next 48 hours it will be too late for the next issue, she said.

Ralph editor Santi Pintado urged anyone who has any information to contact the magazine.

"Unless Somali pirates have stolen them its difficult to explain where they are," Pintado told AAP.
Do you have any ideas what happened, lashbear? :D

JWBear 12-02-2008 10:17 PM

Kevy?

wendybeth 12-02-2008 10:19 PM

Nirvanaman?

Betty 12-03-2008 07:30 AM

I love the photo included in one article about this:

"Sink or swim ... an exhibit at Sydney's Sculptures by the Sea in 2001. Admittedly, not inflatable. "

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

bewitched 12-03-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 257026)
I love the photo included in one article about this:

"Sink or swim ... an exhibit at Sydney's Sculptures by the Sea in 2001. Admittedly, not inflatable. "

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001021,00.html

I wonder if she has oversized arms.

alphabassettgrrl 12-03-2008 05:18 PM

Not looking for her arms. :)

Kevy Baby 12-03-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabassettgrrl (Post 257211)
Not looking for her arms. :)

She has arms?

Ghoulish Delight 12-04-2008 10:15 AM

Ripped from the pages of Duh Magazine:

Male science 'nerds' most likely to be virgins, study says

Get out of town!

Tom 12-04-2008 01:41 PM

I liked this line from the science nerds article:

Quote:

Males in the study were less likely to have had sex as a group compared to the group of females in the sample.
I like thinking that someone intended the ambiguity and slipped it by an editor.

Kevy Baby 12-04-2008 02:18 PM

Does this mean that the males are less likely to engage in a circle jerk?

Is there a female equivalent of a circle jerk?

Disneyphile 12-04-2008 02:20 PM

Satanic Panic in Iran - Fashion Police Arrest 49 People

Alex 12-04-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 257362)
Is there a female equivalent of a circle jerk?

Yes, they call it a quilting bee.

You didn't really think anybody would enjoy making quilts did you?

Kevy Baby 12-04-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 257363)

That story is much sadder than the headline leads one to believe. It isn't the "fashion police" (which I thought meant the story would be more light-hearted), but ACTUAL police.

Kevy Baby 12-04-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 257365)
Yes, they call it a quilting bee.

You didn't really think anybody would enjoy making quilts did you?

Hmm... looks like I need to talk to my wife. Not only does she claim to enjoy making quilts, she gives classes on it.

Alex 12-04-2008 02:31 PM

Well, don't believe her.

The first rule of quilting bee is you don't talk about quilting bee (to a man).

Disneyphile 12-04-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 257367)
Hmm... looks like I need to talk to my wife. Not only does she claim to enjoy making quilts, she gives classes on it.

Be sure to ask her details on what exactly are "fat quarters". ;)

Not Afraid 12-04-2008 03:10 PM

Oh yes. Must schedule quilting class for the new year.

CoasterMatt 12-05-2008 06:59 AM

If it wasn't for bad luck, this guy'd have no luck at all.

bewitched 12-05-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 257326)
Ripped from the pages of Duh Magazine:

Male science 'nerds' most likely to be virgins, study says

Get out of town!

Quote:

However, the finding have been vigorously disputed by male science graduates.
We do TO have sex, we DO! :mad:

SzczerbiakManiac 12-05-2008 11:28 AM

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

What the fück is wrong with those people!?! You're gonna kill someone to save 20 bucks? You can not tell me that people didn't know they were walking over someone. A human body does NOT feel like a level floor.

Kevy Baby 12-05-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 257549)
Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

What the fück is wrong with those people!?! You're gonna kill someone to save 20 bucks? You can not tell me that people didn't know they were walking over someone. A human body does NOT feel like a level floor.

And of course, the family has already filed suit against Wal-Mart

While I typically am against lawsuits (not all: I just think this society files WAY too many), this is one instance where I am in favor of it (at least at first blush).

I have also heard on the news that they were reviewing the video to see if they can spot anyone in the crush who is criminally negligent in this case (although I couldn't find on-line corroboration).

SzczerbiakManiac 12-05-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 257556)
While I typically am against lawsuits (not all: I just think this society files WAY too many), this is one instance where I am in favor of it (at least at first blush).

I very much agree!

Disneyphile 12-05-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since Friday morning!'" Cribbs said. "They kept shopping."
People disgust me. :mad:

Well, at least they saved a few bucks on a new TV to watch the news about the people they trampled. :rolleyes:

I hope they can pick out the people who actually pushed him down. If they're going to act like animals, they deserve to be in cages.

I hate the way some people act this time of year, all over "stuff" that they can get any other time of year, and for the same price or much cheaper most of those times too! And, I don't want to hear that "people can only afford it this time of year". That's bull****. I grew up in a lower class family with only one working parent, and Christmas shopping started January 1st, and was usually completed by the end of October. If my family did it, so can others. If my siblings and I wanted a "hot item", we had to wait until after the holidays for it. And, because my parents spread the shopping expenses out all year, we often received more than a lot of kids.

There's just no reason or excuse for manic behavior this time of year, especially over material crap.

Kevy Baby 12-05-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 257580)
I hope they can pick out the people who actually pushed him down. If they're going to act like animals, they deserve to be in cages.

IMO, the chances of being able to identify any one or two people is thin. This tragedy is born strictly out of the mob mentality. The person who may have actually knocked the victim over was probably being pushed from behind. More than one person contributed to the trampling; even people who did not come in direct contact with the victim are responsible for his death.

Disneyphile 12-05-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 257583)
IMO, the chances of being able to identify any one or two people is thin. This tragedy is born strictly out of the mob mentality. The person who may have actually knocked the victim over was probably being pushed from behind. More than one person contributed to the trampling; even people who did not come in direct contact with the victim are responsible for his death.

I know. :( And, that's why I'm not opposed to rounding 'em all up. As harsh as that sounds... if you're gonna play with the mob... be prepared to take the consequences with the mob.

When the chanting started to break down the doors, people had a choice to not play a part, and could leave. But, that would have meant giving up the chance for a "deal" on a TV. :rolleyes:

I'm not going to hurt anyone or watch anyone get hurt over a stupid item. If I'm surrounded by any kind of hostile crowd situation, I'm going to remove myself from it. Nothing in life is worth that.

Betty 12-05-2008 01:49 PM

If you look up walmart trampling or stampede (I forget which - but saw it last night) on youtube you'll see another video of a different event.
It's true about the push of people. They all just start walking and when someone falls the people in the back just keep going causing the front people to fall on the person already on the ground.

What's disturbing is knowing that this has happened before and they haven't fixed it. Makes you sick to watch it.

They could pass out numbers and let people in 10 at a time until there was no longer a line out front. Of course, they may not make the same amount of money - but what price does WalMart place on a life?

Kevy Baby 12-05-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 257596)
If you look up walmart trampling or stampede (I forget which - but saw it last night) on youtube you'll see another video of a different event.

Just curious: is the video you are referring to an actual different event? There was a Wal Mart trampling incident last year as well (but no one was killed in that one).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 257596)
They could pass out numbers and let people in 10 at a time until there was no longer a line out front. Of course, they may not make the same amount of money - but what price does WalMart place on a life?

Actual, a system like this probably wouldn't affect their bottom line as the loss leader items are limited in number anyways and they would still sell out. People would still come in the same numbers expecting to be able to get them and would still go in the store and purchase the same amount.

At least, I think that is what would happen.

Betty 12-05-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevy Baby (Post 257603)
Just curious: is the video you are referring to an actual different event? There was a Wal Mart trampling incident last year as well (but no one was killed in that one).

I'm not sure when it happened - but more then one person fell and those behind them just kept coming.

There's a cell phone video from this year that I chose not to watch. It was after the event and they were giving him CPR and I shut it off. Don't need to see that.

Disneyphile 12-05-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 257604)
IThere's a cell phone video from this year that I chose not to watch. It was after the event and they were giving him CPR and I shut it off. Don't need to see that.

The real gem in the video was when someone blocked the cell phone's view and the guy holding the cellphone said, "This guy is in my ****ing view. Dammit." And, this was towards the end after they'd been trying endlessly to revive the victim, long after the severity of the issue was "portrayed". How much more did he need to see?

So, the guy with the cellphone doesn't exactly have my respect either.

It's a shame that the cops weren't immediately available when the crowd was chanting about pushing the doors down. In situations like that, I'm all for the beanbag guns, and the store refusing to open until people behave themselves. But, most stores probably wouldn't do that, because the money is more important.

It's just sad all around. How many lives have to end until people get a clue?

My heart is with the victims and their families. I have zero compassion towards the shoppers.

Kevy Baby 12-05-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneyphile (Post 257619)
It's a shame that the cops weren't immediately available when the crowd was chanting about pushing the doors down. In situations like that, I'm all for the beanbag guns, and the store refusing to open until people behave themselves. But, most stores probably wouldn't do that, because the money is more important.

The decisions were probably being made by lower level persons. I can't place too much blame on the people working the store that day. They were probably scared shytless looking at the lynch mob just on the other side of the door and honestly didn't know what to do. There was probably an element of "they are going to break down the door and kill us."

alphabassettgrrl 12-05-2008 05:21 PM

It's my (limited) understanding that the crowd at the WalMart actually broke down the doors.

Talking to a BF shopper last night, he said EB Games didn't let anybody into their store. Everybody waited in line, you told them what you wanted, they brought it to you, and you paid for it. Easy, nothing got stolen, nobody got trampled, and everybody got as much as they were going to get (considering some things were out of stock).

I'm all for limited access when things get that nuts.

Ghoulish Delight 12-05-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabassettgrrl (Post 257714)
It's my (limited) understanding that the crowd at the WalMart actually broke down the doors.

They broke the door off the hinges after the store was opened, they did not break it down in opposition to WalMart trying to keep it closed.

alphabassettgrrl 12-05-2008 05:47 PM

Ah. Thank you for the clarification.

CoasterMatt 12-09-2008 11:52 AM

Gemini Cricket 12-11-2008 09:30 AM

Agh!

Quote:

An actor slit his throat on stage when the prop knife for his suicide scene turned out to be a real one.
Daniel Hoevels, 30, slumped over with blood pouring from his neck while the audience broke into applause at the "special effect". Police are investigating whether the knife was a mistake or a murder plot. They are questioning the rest of the cast, and backstage hands with access to props; they will also carry out DNA tests.
Source

JWBear 12-11-2008 10:49 AM

Glad to hear he survived! :eek:

Moonliner 12-11-2008 10:52 AM

Should we replace "Break a leg" with "Slice a jugular"?

Moonliner 12-11-2008 11:10 AM

Not really WFT material but still interesting...

The smoking gun website has a copy of the infamous Van Halen "No Brown M&M's" rider.

Kevy Baby 12-11-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 258750)

The smoking gun website has a copy of the infamous Van Halen "No Brown M&M's" rider.

I don't know why they are portraying this as some hard-to-find document. I saw that years ago.

Gemini Cricket 12-11-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 258745)
Should we replace "Break a leg" with "Slice a jugular"?

Can you imagine if they were doing Julius Caesar with the same knife supplier?
Yikes.

bewitched 12-12-2008 09:12 AM

Science nerds do TOO have sex...with robots...that they build....

Betty 12-12-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 258750)

And don't forget the 1 large tube of KY and 48 towels!

Stan4dSteph 12-12-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 258873)

Creepy. But if she can't walk, how the hell does she do the cleaning?

bewitched 12-12-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan4dSteph (Post 258880)
Creepy. But if she can't walk, how the hell does she do the cleaning?

I don't think she needs to walk to do the "cleaning". :p

Lance 12-12-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bewitched (Post 258910)
I don't think she needs to walk to do the "cleaning". :p

"These pipes are clean!"

JWBear 12-12-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 258914)
"These pipes are clean!"

Whatever happened to Chris Elliot?

Alex 12-12-2008 01:26 PM

He's busy attending weekly tapings of Saturday Night Live in support of his daughter who recently joined the cast (how did he get that old?).

Lance 12-12-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 258915)
Whatever happened to Chris Elliot?

I think he's mainly been playing bit parts in movies/tv and he's written a few books.

Kevy Baby 12-12-2008 03:47 PM

I can't stand Chris Elliot

Alex 12-12-2008 04:01 PM

That's ok. He was just telling me what a jerk he thinks you are.

Kevy Baby 12-12-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 258955)
That's ok. He was just telling me what a jerk he thinks you are.

Well, I couldn't argue with that...

Betty 12-16-2008 09:17 AM

You know how when you were a kid the other kids told you to stay away from the drain in the bottom of the pool because it would suck you down and you would drown. Turns out - they were right.

JWBear 12-16-2008 10:42 AM

Nanny Government at it's worst. :rolleyes:

Strangler Lewis 12-16-2008 11:18 AM

I suppose one can debate the costs vs. how many lives are likely to be saved, but I don't see that as nanny government. It would be nanny government if the government were intervening to alleviate a risk of harm that only happened to 1) adults 2) when they were drunk or stoned.

JWBear 12-16-2008 01:53 PM

Why should the owners of these pools be forced to either fork over thousands of dollars or be forced to close? Where are the parents? Who in their right mind allows a child that young to swim in a pool unsupervised? Why should the rest of the public pay the price for parents who don't adequately supervise their children?

It’s nanny government any time laws or regulations are enacted that take away personal responsibility – in this case, the responsibility of the parents to keep their children from harm.

Betty 12-16-2008 01:59 PM

At the least there should be a warning about staying away from the drain - don't you think?

Ghoulish Delight 12-16-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 259465)

It’s nanny government any time laws or regulations are enacted that take away personal responsibility – in this case, the responsibility of the parents to keep their children from harm.

There will always be a debate about where the line is draw, but to give an extreme example, if the pool had a set of spikes at the bottom of the deep end, would it be the parents' responsibility to just supervise their kid?

Perhaps drain suction may or may not be an uber-deadly hazard, but it is a hazard and one with a solution, so it's not unheard of to insist on public facilities to have a certain level of safety precautions in place.

Morrigoon 12-16-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 259429)
You know how when you were a kid the other kids told you to stay away from the drain in the bottom of the pool because it would suck you down and you would drown. Turns out - they were right.

Quote:

Alan Korn, public policy director of the Washington-based nonprofit group Safe Kids Worldwide, said the vast majority of American swimmers do not realize that the bottoms of pools, spas and wading pools are hidden hazards, especially to children.

He said one person dies because of pool or spa drain suction in a typical year. His agency cited 33 deaths of children under age 14 between 1985 and 2004.
Okay, ONE person, in AMERICA, dies PER YEAR... and because of that, every public pool owner has to spend up to $15,000 to change their drains? 33 *gasp!* children over a span of 20 years, and this is considered the major threat to safety in this nation? I can think of hundreds of things that probably kill/maim/injure more children per year than this, and this is what they focus on?

(I'm not saying it isn't nice to protect the children, but let's start with the stuff more likely to kill more kids, shall we?)

Strangler Lewis 12-16-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 259465)
Why should the owners of these pools be forced to either fork over thousands of dollars or be forced to close? Where are the parents? Who in their right mind allows a child that young to swim in a pool unsupervised? Why should the rest of the public pay the price for parents who don't adequately supervise their children?

I find your indignation bizarre (but then I find the pervasive anti-child attitude on this board rather puzzling). Maybe I missed something, but doesn't your job depend on servicing adults who, it might be said, can't manage their own sh*t?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrigoon (Post 259470)
Okay, ONE person, in AMERICA, dies PER YEAR... and because of that, every public pool owner has to spend up to $15,000 to change their drains? 33 *gasp!* children over a span of 20 years, and this is considered the major threat to safety in this nation? I can think of hundreds of things that probably kill/maim/injure more children per year than this, and this is what they focus on?

(I'm not saying it isn't nice to protect the children, but let's start with the stuff more likely to kill more kids, shall we?)

I think the difference is 1) these stories are truly horrible and 2) it's not a speed limit situation where you're dealing with more theoretical risks and countervailing lifestyle choices. It's a clear risk, with a fatal outcome, and an obvious fix.

Morrigoon 12-16-2008 03:01 PM

I think a reasonable start would have been requiring it of all NEW pools, or requiring changes when reasonably possible, such as the next time the pool is drained, etc.

Also, I think someone could've come up with a domed fixture that could be installed over existing drains, rather than requiring a complete change to the drain system, which would make changes cheaper and more reasonable.

And again, there are many much more deadly and avoidable things they could've focused on.

Alex 12-16-2008 03:19 PM

Playing with the drain was the best part of going to the public school when I was a kid. That moment of fear when you poked a toe in and it took some work to pull it out was the reason for going.

Why must they destroy my childhood!

Plus, if you went down there and peed you could convince yourself it left the pool almost immediately and therefore wasn't so wrong.

I have no real opinion on whether the government should be doing it, but I wonder if it would be doing it if one of the 33 people in 20 years wasn't related to a former secretary of state.

tracilicious 12-16-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangler Lewis (Post 259474)
I find your indignation bizarre (but then I find the pervasive anti-child attitude on this board rather puzzling). Maybe I missed something, but doesn't your job depend on servicing adults who, it might be said, can't manage their own sh*t?

Ditto all of the above. Especially the anti-child part.

From the article's description, it sounds like it isn't about whether a parent is watching or not. It cited an example of a child getting pulled under, and people trying to free her from the drain and her drowning anyways. It's not like no one noticed she was under water. So, yeah, I think pool companies should make products that don't kill people.

Alex 12-16-2008 03:34 PM

I know it is cold and heartless, but on a cost benefit basis, is spending $1.2 billion* justified to save 1 life per year? It would be way more effective to allow that one kid to die and require pool owners to send $5,000 to Africa for water purification tablets (I know, that's not particularly fair, pretty much any home grown safety measure is not cost effective compared to purification tablets for African water).

*Article says 240,000 are not yet compliant and that change costs $1,000 to $15,000. So using a picked as a guess number of $5,000 per retrofit that is $1.2 billion still needing to be spent.

ETA: When the EPA does impact assessments for proposed regulations they value a human life at $6.9 million. If we assume that the new drains will last 20 years, work 100% perfectly and therefore save 33 lives, that is a value of $36.4 million.

Morrigoon 12-16-2008 04:07 PM

Oftentimes laws to "protect the children" are pushed through by people/companies who stand to make money on the regulation (remember the uterine cancer vaccine?). Now, obviously this one has something to do with a lawmaker's personal grief, but I do question such expensive regulation, because it does seem obvious to me that someone stands to make a lot of money on this.

Again, I wouldn't mind so much if the reaction were less extreme (eg: applying it only to new or remodeled pools, coming up with a less expensive alternative such as fitting a dome over an existing flat grate, etc.) Safety and reasonability must be kept in balance. Else we'd have extremes like banning cars because they kill so many people.

Strangler Lewis 12-16-2008 04:13 PM

I don't think aggregating it is a sensible way of addressing what the responsible approach of each property owner is.

Our idiot prior owners planted sequoia trees on our .11 acre lot. Very pretty. Totally inappropriate for the lots. One of them had a split trunk, to make matters worse. The trees are an inevitable hazard to driveways, fences and, eventually, rooves and brains. We just spent about a thousand having them out (to the indignation of our neighbors who called us tree-hating cretins but said that, no, they would not sign a perpetual release of liability)

We felt that spending this money now was the responsible thing to do even though it might take ten years for the one tree to crush our neighbor's house and, even then, they might not be inside at the time. If you frame the question as whether a property owner should spend one thousand, five thousand, etc. to alleviate a clear risk of harm that would result in far larger liability, then the decision becomes clearer. Aggregating the effect of that decision among everyone in the country who has a similarly costly risk on their property shouldn't distort what the right thing to do in particular cases is.

JWBear 12-16-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Maybe I missed something, but doesn't your job depend on servicing adults who, it might be said, can't manage their own sh*t?

Perhaps you have, but then you would be prey to a common misconception regarding public assistance. The majority of those who come through our doors can, as you so colorfully phrased it “manage their own sh*t”. The stereotype of the “Welfare Queen” is outdated and false. Most are here because of something outside of their control; the death of a spouse, the primary wage earner being laid-off (especially poignant right now), illness, disability… Many of the families we see would have bee considered middle class ten/twenty years ago. Now, they can barely make ends meet; one paycheck away from destitution. Often it takes just one setback to send them over the brink, then they have little choice but to come here. I talk to these people every day. I hear their stories and see the fear and desperation in their eyes. Trust me, they would rather be anywhere than standing in line at the welfare office!

Alex 12-16-2008 04:22 PM

Except that aggregating is very common for evaluating whether government imposed regulations are sensible (just because something is the "right thing to do" does not necessarily mean it should be mandated by the government).

Also, I'd argue that if the only reason you removed the tree now was because of a 1 in (let's say to just pick a number) 100,000,000 chance of killing someone in any given year beyond 15 years from now that your $5,000 was very poorly spent.

If the odds of damage or death from the tree, however, are significant then aggregating might very wear bolster the case.

Conversely, what if a rather than the $5,000 fix there is a $40 fix that would save 70% of the lives (I have no idea if there is). At what point is the cost disproportionate to the minuscule -- though very real -- risk?

bewitched 12-16-2008 04:42 PM

There may "only" be 33 kids that have been killed by the drains but many more have been permanently injured (usually after evisceration). Further, it is thought that many more deaths are probably attributable to pool drains but are listed as drownings since that is the actual cause of death.

Examples:

Here.

Here.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00016693.htmAnd here.

I'm amused by the idea that somehow these kids aren't "supervised". Only someone without kids would make a blanket statement like that. The pool we go to is very well supervised. I also supervise my 8yo. Nonetheless, she is often underwater...playing games, swimming, exploring, etc.. She is an excellent swimmer. I don't get up and follow her every time her head dips underwater. I don't expect there to be a freak hidden danger like a drain that would hold her down so firmly it would suck her intestines out.

Maybe in some of your minds this makes me a bad parent. Maybe you think I don't adequately supervise my daughter. But I also think that if there wasn't a "hidden" danger, and you saw me hovering* to that extent, you would think I was a total nutjob.

*Personally, I think this kind of extreme supervision at 8 would go beyond hovering and border on some kind of pervasive psychological condition.

JWBear 12-16-2008 04:48 PM

I'm sorry, but if I were a parent, there is no way I'd allow my 7 or 8yo child swim in the deep end of the pool.

bewitched 12-16-2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 259500)
I'm sorry, but if I were a parent, there is no way I'd allow my 7 or 8yo child swim in the deep end of the pool.

Then it would be likely your kid would be the dork odd man out because his parents wouldn't let him in the deep end.

katiesue 12-16-2008 05:00 PM

I am a parent and I let my 7 or 8 year old swim in the deep end all the time. She took swim lessons for years and is a fairly strong swimmer. When we were that age we spent hundreds of hours at the public pool diving in the deep end. There were these square blocks you could check out and dive for them in the 8ft, which I hated cause I always feel like I'm drowning if I go that deep. And diving for them was a part of our swim lessons as well.

And I don't think it's all lack of supervision, although it could be. Kids can do the darndest things so fast you can't stop them. Madz got her head stuck in the fencing at the Tomorrowland Train Station when she was two. They finally got her out with bolt cutters but they thought they might need to weld. She did it in a second and none of us could figure out how she even got her head in a position to get in the space so we couldn't get her out.

Alex 12-16-2008 05:03 PM

The second link is to a personal injury law firm trolling for cases. That doesn't mean what they say is inaccurate just that they have a financial incentive to maximize the perceived risks.

The third link to the CDC is to a case where the protective drain cover was missing for some reason so very well might have happened regardless.

But my point is not that this regulation is unwarranted (as I said, I don't know enough to know), just that just as the "supervise your kids" thing is misguided, I think the "it's a real risk so the cost is a moral obligation which justifies making it a legal obligation regardless of the relative risk" is also misguided.

Alex 12-16-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 259500)

When we were 8 that was the year of school required swimming lessons. And this was back when there was a 10M high dive at the public pool (other risk concerns eventually got rid of that) and we all used it with abandon once we had passed the necessary stage of lessons.

bewitched 12-16-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 259503)
The second link is to a personal injury law firm trolling for cases. That doesn't mean what they say is inaccurate just that they have a financial incentive to maximize the perceived risks.

The third link to the CDC is to a case where the protective drain cover was missing for some reason so very well might have happened regardless.

But my point is not that this regulation is unwarranted (as I said, I don't know enough to know), just that just as the "supervise your kids" thing is misguided, I think the "it's a real risk so the cost is a moral obligation which justifies making it a legal obligation regardless of the relative risk" is also misguided.

Sorry about the second link. The third link is to an uncovered drain* but it address the same issues this legislation does. The reason for the drowning was the suction power created by having only one drain and the inability to free her because there was no emergency cut off switch.

*I believe, though am not certain that this is another issue the legislation addresses, i.e. easily removable drain covers.

eta: I added a new 2nd link.

Kevy Baby 12-16-2008 05:22 PM

This whole conversation sucks.

tracilicious 12-16-2008 10:21 PM

My five year old swims in the deep end. He's been swimming since he was a toddler. Without any sort of floatie/vest since he was a young four. He can also do the six foot high balance beam at gymnastics, climb to the top of the rock wall, etc. Seriously, I get so tired of people who obviously have no clue about kids or parenting criticizing parents all the time. It's fvcking hard people!

CoasterMatt 12-16-2008 10:42 PM

I didn't want to go in any pool for a while when I was a lil kid, because of a news story about this kind of thing.

Betty 12-17-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracilicious (Post 259544)
It's fvcking hard people!

Amen to that!

Capt Jack 12-17-2008 09:23 AM

hence, why I decided to stick with dogs.

mousepod 12-17-2008 10:20 AM

Back to the pool issue... Not that I feel strongly either way about a new law for pool owners, but the linked stories remind me about a moment I had on our family vacation this year.

We were sitting by the pool at the hotel, and I started reading Chuck Palahniuk's "Haunted", one of the books from my "get around to sometime" pile. Unlike "Fight Club", "Choke" and "Lullaby," this book is a collection of linked short stories... most of them pretty darn gruesome.

One of the early stories involves a character who uses the drain of the pool for his own pleasure, until something horrible happens.

I actually got physically ill and had to put the book down for almost a half hour.

Capt Jack 12-17-2008 01:11 PM

3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake

I have no words

Moonliner 12-17-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 259649)

Really, to think a store would do that to a 3-year-old.

Alex 12-17-2008 01:38 PM

Interestingly I don't think he's quite understanding the nature of the controversy yet. I don't think it is blacks, specifically, that would have the most issue with a friend named Adolf Hitler.

It is hard to take at face value the statement that he picked the name just because it was nice sounding and would be unique but then has apparently requested a swastika on the cake in the past (and named another child after Aryan Nation).

So, I guess I can understand both sides. Yeah, I'd probably go ahead and make the cake but it would be borderline. I don't buy for a moment that no political statement was being made when they chose the name of this child and I don't really have a problem if others choose to not participate in making that statement.

My mom owns a seamstress shop I don't know that she'd be eager to make the young child's klan hood for his 4th birthday costume party.

Strangler Lewis 12-17-2008 01:47 PM

Say what you will about Hitler . . .

SzczerbiakManiac 12-17-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heath Campbell
Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Really? You named your son Adolf Hitler and you're surprised it generated controversy? REALLY?!? Are you aware of the other Adolf Hitler from around 70 years ago?
Quote:

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.
Please define "differently" Mr. Campbell.

Eliza Hodgkins 1812 12-17-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousepod (Post 259598)
I actually got physically ill and had to put the book down for almost a half hour.

That was me reading American Pshyco. Heh.

Kids will do the darndest and most dangerous things. I was swimming in a pool that was half covered by the winter pool cover. My Dad and his friend were standing nearby. I thought it would be cool to swim beneath the cover, and it was! The colors and the calm were amazing. I figured I get to the the end, and simply stick my head up, imagining the cover would be light enough to raise up along with me. I tried to come up for air and the cover was too heavy to budge. I was quickly running out of air and almost panicked, but instead swam as fast as I could to the open end of the pool. I emerged gasping for air. My Dad and his friend were still chatting away; had no idea I was in any danger. Reproached him later for not paying more attention, and he pretty much told me to be less of an idiot. Heh.

Anyway, I could have died, and I hardly blame lack of supervision. My father simply had a higher opinion of my intelligence than he should have. :)

For the record, I am not anti-child. I just don't want children of my own. (There are many reasons for this, and one of them IS because I know how hard it is.) I don't like how some people have tried to make me feel like this is a severe lack on my part. I've had a co-worker say, "You can never really know love until you have a child." I've had people who barely know me say, "Oh, but you will. Someday. Trust me." If some people feel those without children speak out of turn about parenting, it goes both ways. Parents often make non-breeders feel like there is something wrong with them.

My boss needing to take time off from work watch his daughter's ballet class is no more important than my needing to take time off from work to meet an old friend for dinner. He wants to be a good father, and I want to be a good friend. We mutually respect our different lifestyles.

So, I'm not anti-child. I love new baby smell and smart toddlers. I love playing with kids because I've always dreamed of playing with monkeys. And I love talking with kids because I find I often learn something new, too.
I don't think kids should be cleaning up lint in cotton mills with their tiny hands, but I also don't think they should be coddled and "cute"ified into prolonged adolescence. My aunt stays home from work if her sixteen year old has a tummy ache. I don't understand that. My favorite parents are the ones who don't make their children feel like they are the center of the universe, who treat them like like they are raising a future adult, and who take their newborns OUT of the movie theater as soon as they start crying because they recognize that other patrons may mind. A child crying at Disneyland? Fair game.

If anything, I'm anti-parents who think their more important for being parents, and who treat their children as though they are somehow more special than everything, everyone and anything else. I feel fortunate that most of the parents I know aren't like that, and they're raising some seriously awesome kids.

alphabassettgrrl 12-17-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliza Hodgkins 1812 (Post 259669)
I've had a co-worker say, "You can never really know love until you have a child." I've had people who barely know me say, "Oh, but you will. Someday. Trust me."

Yeah, frequently people assume a desire for children and simply cannot understand a different opinion. They assume I'm either broken or lying. When people assure us that we will someday want children, it seems like they are trying to reassure themselves somehow that their desire for children is normal; I'm wondering why it's so important to them that I want children. I don't get it.

My uncle's wife raised one of those "center of the universe" children. This girl was her last child, and my aunt's main goal seemed to be to not allow the child to grow up (I think the woman would be happy for her daughter to be perpetually age 4). She wanted to do every little thing for the girl. I think there was some guilt with this as well as the fear of the child growing up, but independence was quite a challenge for her. Luckily, the girl seems to realize that constant dependence on one's mother is not normal, and seems to have made a somewhat independent life for herself, but it wasn't easy.

And like you say- crying babies in movie theaters? Not so ok. Crying babies at Disneyland? Happens.

Capt Jack 12-17-2008 04:32 PM

I can totally relate to that. I was married for 25 years and folks would constantly ask us "dont you want kids?" we'd sort of look at each other puzzled, as neither of us seemed to understand that 'want children' phrase. I still dont. I 'want' a steak. I 'want' to get laid. I "want" all sorts of things. not one of those seems to be "I want to create another life"

however I dig kids (Im not much removed from being one myself except for actual age), get along great with em and they do seem to like me (see the previous note, as I think kids recognize their own, regardless of age)

dunno. just not a thing I ever saw or see myself doing. and while I do applaud those that have, I fully appreciate the benefits of being one who doesnt

Kevy Baby 12-17-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Jack (Post 259649)

Quote:

Originally Posted by the linked story
The Campbells ultimately got their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said.

See: another reason to not shop at Wal-Mart. They're Nazis!

Kevy Baby 12-17-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

...(but then I find the pervasive anti-child attitude on this board rather puzzling).

I LOVE children, especially with a nice Chianti.

But seriously: I see no "anti-child" attitude on this board. I know that many people on this board do not have kids, but that does not make any of us "anti-child." I personally spend a fair amount of time with friends who have kids, and have no problem talking to the children themselves. One family, who currently have a ten-year-old, a seven-year-old, and a three-year-old have been our friends since before they were married (actually, we've known the wife since before she even met her now husband). We've watched the kids grow and it has been a true joy. We've been on camping trips together and will often watch after the kids while Mom and Dad and get a respite.

Alex 12-17-2008 05:08 PM

I'm not anti-child. I just don't think they're the bees knees.

Have them if you want them, just don't expect me to think they (or you for having them) are all that interesting or special.

They seem to like me though.

Eliza Hodgkins 1812 12-17-2008 05:23 PM

I hate when the edit function disappears and my inappropriate "their" can not be corrected to "they're". I know the difference! I do! Just...in the heat of the writing moment...I am sometimes illiterate. Heh.

Kevy Baby 12-17-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliza Hodgkins 1812 (Post 259693)
I hate when the edit function disappears and my inappropriate "their" can not be corrected to "they're". I know the difference! I do! Just...in the heat of the writing moment...I am sometimes illiterate. Heh.

Its knot a issue. We all knows what your righting knowledge are.

bewitched 12-17-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliza Hodgkins 1812 (Post 259669)
That was me reading American Pshyco
For the record, I am not anti-child. I just don't want children of my own. (There are many reasons for this, and one of them IS because I know how hard it is.) I don't like how some people have tried to make me feel like this is a severe lack on my part. I've had a co-worker say, "You can never really know love until you have a child." I've had people who barely know me say, "Oh, but you will. Someday. Trust me." If some people feel those without children speak out of turn about parenting, it goes both ways. Parents often make non-breeders feel like there is something wrong with them.

I know exactly what you're talking about and I think that when people think that you you will be sorry, that you don't know what you're talking about, etc. are stupid.

I didn't plan on having kids at all. I love them but never felt any maternal urge. I got all sorts of grief from everyone...someone even told me I was being selfish (which to be fair, not gracing humanity with more of my gene pool would have been rather selfish). Then, at 32...ooops! (let's just say that 99.7% figure for the pill leaves a little wiggle room)

So I've been on both sides of the fence and respect both sides. I can also honestly say that to some degree I agree with your co-worker; in my wildest imagination, I couldn't have imagined loving anyone or anything as much as I love my daughter. I don't mean to imply at all that you are lacking or crazy because you don't want kids. I've known the feeling.

Having said that, it annoys me every bit as much if not more when people say, "if I was a parent" or, "if I had kids" as when people would say things about my decision not to have kids. Personally, I think the "stick to what you know" factor applies here (and never make definitive statements about things removed from your experience, I used to say, "if I were a parent..." all of the time but reality is a lot different from observation).

Not Afraid 12-17-2008 09:28 PM

I have a child. He just happens to look and sound like a piggie.

Kevy Baby 12-17-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Afraid (Post 259727)

That's not a nice thing to say about Chris

Ghoulish Delight 12-17-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Afraid (Post 259727)

That's a horrible way to talk about someone who is No Longer Posting.

Moonliner 12-18-2008 08:30 AM

Damn, Damn, Damn.

This story was sooooo close to being the coolest news event ever!

Imagine this, you are with your family for a fun day at the water park. You send the kiddies down the big water slide, while you wait at the bottom to snap a photo or two. Down come the kids and right behind them comes a live 6' tiger shark.

Close. Oh so close...

bewitched 12-18-2008 08:48 AM

Doctor Finds Foot in Newborn's Brain

Quote:

Dr. Paul Grabb, a pediatric brain surgeon, said he was surprised when he discovered a small foot growing inside the brain of 3-day-old Sam Esquibel.

bewitched 12-18-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 259782)
Damn, Damn, Damn.

This story was sooooo close to being the coolest news event ever!

Imagine this, you are with your family for a fun day at the water park. You send the kiddies down the big water slide, while you wait at the bottom to snap a photo or two. Down come the kids and right behind them comes a live 6' tiger shark.

Close. Oh so close...

Poor shark. :(

Alex 12-18-2008 08:57 AM

My first thought was the that Sherman from the Sherman's Lagoon comic strip met a terrible end while on vacation.

SzczerbiakManiac 12-18-2008 10:36 AM

Greedy Stupid Spoiled Bitch Judge's Daughter Sues Driver She Ran Into While Driving Drunk

flippyshark 12-18-2008 10:40 AM

my sharky cheese is sad - yes, the image of a shark on a water slide is a highly enjoyable one, but I loves the tiger sharks, and I'm sorry to hear that this one died. :(

BarTopDancer 12-18-2008 11:28 AM

I was going to go cage diving as a graduation present to myself.

I think I changed my mind.