Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Moonliner 02-25-2009 03:00 PM

Being gay or lesbian gets you booted from X-Box Live.

Link.

Quote:

Teresa says that she was harassed by other players and later suspended from XBOX Live because she identified herself as a lesbian in her profile. When she appealed to Microsoft, she says they told her that other gamers found her sexual orientation "offensive."

Betty 02-25-2009 04:38 PM

On the one hand, it's a gaming platform and one's sexual preference doesn't really come into play does it? So why is it part of their profile or name? Or is XboxLive now a pick up place for xbox sex of some kind? (with our ongoing issues with the red ring of death I don't have a lot of hope out for ever going on Live again to find out.)

On the other hand, would someone be banned for having "straight" in their profile or as part of their name? I suspect not.

Funny (not really) how they also banned the guy who's last name is actually Gaywood.

JWBear 02-25-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 270440)
On the one hand, it's a gaming platform and one's sexual preference doesn't really come into play does it? So why is it part of their profile or name? Or is XboxLive now a pick up place for xbox sex of some kind?

Sexual orientation is always "in play". As one of the comments said, would someone with the handle "ladiesman" get banned? It's an expression of sexual orientation. I'm tired of straight people who think it's ok to project their sexual orientation any time, and in any way they feel; but tell us we can not.

Why is a straight man talking about his wife or girlfriend is considered normal, but a gay man talking about his husband or boyfriend is considered "flaunting his sexuality"? Double standards, anyone?.

Why would you assume that she was in XboxLive for sex just because she identified herself as lesbian? Personaly, I find that implication to be very insulting. Someone identifying themselves as lesbian or gay does not automaticaly mean they are there for sex; no more than if someone identifies themself as straight.

Morrigoon 02-25-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 270444)
Sexual orientation is always "in play". As one of the comments said, would someone with the handle "ladiesman" get banned? It's an expression of sexual orientation. I'm tired of straight people who think it's ok to project their sexual orientation any time, and in any way they feel; but tell us we can not.

Why is a straight man talking about his wife or girlfriend is considered normal, but a gay man talking about his husband or boyfriend is considered "flaunting his sexuality"? Double standards, anyone?.

:snap:
And THIS is why we need to legalize gay marriage.

Betty 02-26-2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 270444)

Why would you assume that she was in XboxLive for sex just because she identified herself as lesbian? Personaly, I find that implication to be very insulting. Someone identifying themselves as lesbian or gay does not automaticaly mean they are there for sex; no more than if someone identifies themself as straight.

No offense was meant...

Perhaps it's a personal thing to me and I project that a bit? My sexual orientation isn't something I go around proclaiming... when it does come up I think "sex"? I dunno. That's how it initially struck me though. That may have to do with me being old and married? (and yeah - I see the irony of that statement when so many people aren't allowed to be married to the one they love.)

Just excuses on my part?

You're right though - and it shouldn't be an issue. If they allow womanizer or ladiesman then they should allow other references to whatever orientation. They certainly shouldn't allow the harrassment by other players because of their orientation... Their poor gaming skillz though are another matter. Would they allow womanizer for a man and not for a woman?

And again - no offense was meant. I know it's a touchy subject and I should have thought my post through more carefully before I hit submit.

JWBear 02-26-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 270514)
My sexual orientation isn't something I go around proclaiming...

So, you never mention your husband to anyone? Your marriage is never brought up in conversation? You and your husband never hold hands, or hug, or kiss in public? Legal documents you've signed list him as a "roommate" or "friend"? You've never done or said anything that would indicate you are straight?

If you answered "no" to any of those, then you have proclaimed your sexual orientation. In fact, I'll wager that you do so many times a day.

Moonliner 02-26-2009 11:25 AM

Define: Mentioned
A speaking or notice of anything, usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of.

Define: Proclaimed
To excitedly, verbosely and candidly describe

I don't think Betty proclaims her sexuality on a regular basis. Nor do I think the X-Box gal proclaimed hers.

JWBear 02-26-2009 11:36 AM

Semantic pedantry is what one falls back on when one has no valid argument.

Moonliner 02-26-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 270558)

Or abuses when trying to make a point irregardless of the facts.

Ghoulish Delight 02-26-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWBear (Post 270558)

Geez. First off, she apologized and conceded your point, not sure why you're piling on.

Secondly, it's not "semantic pedantry." There is a big difference between, "I went to dinner with my wife last night," and, "Hey everyone, I prefer f*cking pussy to sucking dick!"

The question is, where on that spectrum does "Hey, I'm a lesbian" fall? I don't think it's particularly strong of a declaration. I wouldn't expect "I'm straight" to raise anyone's eyebrows, so I do consider XBox's actions out of line.