Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Ghoulish Delight 12-16-2009 11:55 AM

Hmmmm

Alex 12-16-2009 12:02 PM

So, what's suggested is that religion is a right hemisphere brain function?

And that god is a hand sticking out of your forehead?

(Actually, I've always found that to be a bit of a stretch but then I tend to downplay such things in art unless the artist has explicitly copped to it. And the guards in the Sistine Chapel were very strict about shushing people so I didn't get to ask my companions their thoughts at the time.)

Ghoulish Delight 12-16-2009 12:12 PM

Michelangelo is known to have spent a lot of time doing dissections and studying anatomy.

Without word from him, I wouldn't try to guess at his intended meaning, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, and is probably even likely, that the resemblance is indeed intentional.

Alex 12-16-2009 12:26 PM

Oh, I don't deny it's possibility at all. I just tend not to put too much into it because I don't personally have the skills to separate the wheat (which this connection may be) from the chaff (finding coded evidence in The Last Supper proving that Jesus was a woman).

But if intentional it is an interesting connection to have been made.

Kevy Baby 12-16-2009 12:44 PM

Michelangelo was a hack

Moonliner 12-16-2009 12:44 PM

In the Dan Brown school of thought, God is an internalization of Humans. 'Know you not that you be Gods" and all that. This would seem to fit with that concept.

Kevy Baby 12-16-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 309256)

Quote:

Soltoski said he believes the needles were stuck into his body one by one because it would have been impossible for him to swallow them.

"We think it could have only been by penetration because we found needles in the lung, the left leg and in different parts of the thorax. It couldn't have been by ingestion," Soltoski said.
Maybe he was born with them?

Moonliner 12-16-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SzczerbiakManiac (Post 309256)

Such a pointless tragedy.

Ghoulish Delight 12-16-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonliner (Post 309277)
In the Dan Brown school of thought, God is an internalization of Humans. 'Know you not that you be Gods" and all that. This would seem to fit with that concept.

Eh, that's too much guesswork. Without anything from Michelangelo on the subject to go by, I wouldn't even begin to pretend to know WHY he might have done that. It seems just as likely to me that he was making some grand philosophical point about religion as it does that he just felt that fitting the subjects into forms that mirror anatomy makes for aesthetically pleasing art. So the existence and nature of any particular message remains a total mystery. But, based on the known fact that he studied anatomy deeply and applied those studies to other works of art, I DO find it more likely than not that the resemblance to the brain is more than mere coincidence, whatever his reasons for doing so.

Disneyphile 12-18-2009 12:24 AM

Small Boy Found Staggering Drunk and Wearing Stolen Dress

I wish that wasn't actually the truth...