Lounge of Tomorrow

Lounge of Tomorrow (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/index.php)
-   Lounge Lizard (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   WTF Stories of the Week (http://74.208.121.111/LoT/showthread.php?t=7619)

Ghoulish Delight 10-21-2010 03:38 PM

In some ways, he sure was.

JWBear 10-21-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoulish Delight (Post 335543)
And perhaps people would be less down on the cult-of-apple if they didn't take any questioning of apple as a personal slight against them.

Exactly!

Gemini Cricket 10-21-2010 03:53 PM

To clarify, a douchebag with mouse ears.

JWBear 10-21-2010 04:07 PM

And Apple products aren't all that. I see plenty of news about Apple product this has problems, Apple product that has problems. I've had to reset my iPod to factory defaults a number of times because of it freezing up. Bill's copy of iTunes is corrupted, and we can't update it or even unistall it. Their customer service is a joke. On the other hand, my HP desktop with Windows 7 runs like a dream. I just have never understood the cultish loyalty to Apple.

mousepod 10-21-2010 04:14 PM

Just so I understand, JW

1) Steve Jobs is a douchebag
2) Apple is a bad company and its fans are wrong for being loyal
3) People shouldn't take it personally when you attack the thing they like and in the same gesture basically refer to them as sheep

I completely understand.

Gemini Cricket 10-21-2010 05:02 PM

I don't have a problem with people who like Apple stuff. I like Apple stuff and I wish I could afford a Mac laptop so I could cut things on it with FinalCut.

But I have a problem when a people tell me, "You should buy ____" or "You should only buy _____" or "Everybody should have a _____". Like I've gotten lectured about how I should drive a Prius. "It's the right thing to do." That kinda bugs me. And, yes, it definitely depends on who is saying it to me. Strangers, acquaintances, commercials = I totally ignore. Family (some of them) and friends = I will listen to the suggestion. Whenever I see someone all high and mighty talking about their Prius or their Escalade, I just want to tell them both to shove their vehicles up their asses.

I will use myself as an example. I like the Dave Matthews Band, maybe you've heard. But I don't find it necessary to see them 20 times a year, buy all of their merchandise, all of their live CDs, etc. Daveheads bragging about the fact that they've seen him 80 times overloads my circuits.

I don't know if that makes any sense but that's what I think. I also give the cold shoulder (maybe only at first) to something/someone who is wildly popular. Justin Bieber (holy crap, give me a break) fans can be annoying at times but I actually like one of his songs.

And as far as doucheyness goes, I find Bill Gates to be a douche but not Steve Jobs. Maybe because I get so annoyed with Windows at times.

JWBear 10-21-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousepod (Post 335553)
Just so I understand, JW

1) Steve Jobs is a douchebag

I never said that.

Quote:

2) Apple is a bad company and its fans are wrong for being loyal

Again, I did not say that. Apple is not a bad company, but neither is it the great shining paragon of technology some people make it out to be.

Also, there is nothing wrong with being a loyal customer. But worshiping a particular brand like a cult, and defending it religiously, is beyond being a fan.

Quote:

3) People shouldn't take it personally when you attack the thing they like and in the same gesture basically refer to them as sheep

Who's attacking Apple? Not me. Apple makes good products - popular products. See my response to #2 above. Yes, I did point out that they do have problems (just like any other company), but that's hardly attacking them.

I was poking fun at those people who worship Apple and everything it makes. Obviously I hit a nerve. Sorry I poked your sacred cow. But if you took it personal, that's something you need to deal with and figure out why.

Quote:

I completely understand.

Obviously you don't.

mousepod 10-21-2010 05:32 PM

Say what you want, JW, but when you enter into a conversation thusly:

Quote:

Of course not. We should all be struck with awe at the mearest glimpse of an Apple product, and be filled with an overwelming desire to purchase them, worship them, make passionate love with them. All other products are mear pale attempts at imitating their awesomness and coolness. The other electronics companies should realize this and close their doors; their executives to bow down to The Jobs, kiss his feet, and appologize for tempting the masses to stray from the One True Productline.
And then say "Who's attacking Apple? Not me. Apple makes good products - popular products," after you just said

Quote:

And Apple products aren't all that. I see plenty of news about Apple product this has problems, Apple product that has problems. I've had to reset my iPod to factory defaults a number of times because of it freezing up. Bill's copy of iTunes is corrupted, and we can't update it or even unistall it. Their customer service is a joke. On the other hand, my HP desktop with Windows 7 runs like a dream.

I'd consider your point-by-point response to my defensive answer to be a little duplicitous or at least, to borrow a couple of popular words, "bullying" and "douche-y".

And believe me, I do understand.

Alex 10-21-2010 05:46 PM

You're way over-reacting, I'd say. If he's attacking anything directly with those words, it is a certain type of Apple-product groupie.

And if saying that Apple products aren't perfect and the end-all-be-all is the same as attacking Apple then that's a low bar and definitely one that even casual Apple afficianados have engaged in with much enthusiasm.

And Microsoft may be a douchier company than Apple, but I'm hard pressed to imagine the argument that Bill Gates is a douchier person (over say the last 15 yeass) than Steve Jobs. At least on the level where any of us know either of them. That's not to say Steve Jobs is a horrible person, just that Bill Gates seems to be a pretty good one.

mousepod 10-21-2010 05:51 PM

You're absolutely right, Alex. I've had a rough week, and I'm certainly overreacting to JWBear's comments.

I apologize for contributing to bringing the conversation to a silly level.

But still, JWBear is being kind of a douche.