Lounge of Tomorrow

€uromeinke, FEJ. and Ghoulish Delight RULE!!! NA abides.  


Go Back   Lounge of Tomorrow > Squaresville > Daily Grind
Swank Swag
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Clear Unread

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
wendybeth
Nevermind
 
wendybeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,847
wendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of coolwendybeth is the epitome of cool
Send a message via Yahoo to wendybeth
I've been homeschooling for the past five years. (I do happen to have a college education, and my MIL is a teacher. ) I know a lot of homeschooled kids and they are all very advanced academically. Most graduate with their high school and two-year college degrees, as kids are allowed to start junior college when they are 16 here. The daughter of a friend of mine started at Gonzaga University as a junior this year- she's 18. (She's in their accounting program, and doing great).

As far as teaching subjects, what subjects I know I teach, and any others I can learn about beforehand or hire a tutor. (You'd all be surprised how many teachers stay up late to cram for subjects they have to teach the next day, btw.) My MIL is a teacher, but she taught 2nd grade and the Girl passed her up long ago, so I do nearly all her teaching and I decide on the curriculum. Our state's Office of the Superintendent (OSPI) very clearly lays out the learning requirements per grade level, and homeschooling resources are the same- and sometimes better- than the public school's.

This ruling in California will force the lawmakers to corrective action, of that I have no doubt. The homeschooling movement is too strong now, and public schools couldn't handle the influx of kids (particularly special needs kids) if they were to disallow it.
__________________









wendybeth is offline   Submit to Quotes Reply With Quote
 



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Lunarpages.com Web Hosting

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.